Clear all

Who Uses Slow Down Software to Learn Riffs

27 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
12.5 K Views
(@blueman2)
Topic starter  

Who uses Slow Down software to Learn Songs? Any recommendations if you do? And how did anyone figure these things out in the good old days of vinyl; no looping, have to keep dropping the needle in the same spot with one hand while slowing down the turntable with the other and play the guitar. Amazing.

GuitarStorage.com - FREE Give-a-way Contest During October

(@alangreen)

And how did anyone figure these things out in the good old days of vinyl; no looping

What we did was record it on a cassette tape using a machine with a tape counter. Play, rewind, listen, attempt, rewind, listen, attempt, rewind.

We got there eventually.

The alternative was we went and bought printed music. Now, I know most people here like the challenge of getting it right more than they like paying for an official product, but buying printed music actually gave us a good starting point.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blueman2)
Topic starter  

I'm talking about before cassettes. I guess that's ancient history nowadays.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

I'm talking about before cassettes
And even more so in the days before vinyl. It was pointed out to me, in a different context, that they didn't have television back then; probably helped a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@music2jam)

Who uses Slow Down software to Learn Songs? Any recommendations if you do? And how did anyone figure these things out in the good old days of vinyl; no looping, have to keep dropping the needle in the same spot with one hand while slowing down the turntable with the other and play the guitar. Amazing.

I'm starting using song surgeon a slow down music software to learn songs. They got a free demo which is great specially slowing music to 50% the quality of the sound is still very good.

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Amazing Slow Downer, I have been using it for a few years now, and I think it's been about
the best teacher I've had for playing blues or just about anything. Yeah we got Tabs, the actual
music score or someone to show us, which is all great but, nothing is going to be more true
than the music itself.

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@blueman2)
Topic starter  

Found Phrase Trainer and love it

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Hmmm, slow down software, thats a new one on me...hmmm

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@music2jam)

Hmmm, slow down software, thats a new one on me...hmmm

Slow down software isn't only for beginners but also to experts is noted on most of my search in goole. I love the FREE demo of Song Surgeon since it gives you the full feature though it only works for 4hrs but the sound quality is really unsurpassed compared to some free softwares I used. Looping, pitch and tempo change. Just heard also of something about music pad but still need to search on this more. I will be purchasing one and let you know about my progress as a beginner. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Daew
(@daew)

I only learn from slowed down source when learning from tabs (I use TuxGuitar and GuitarPro). For "real" music I don't use any specific software, if I have to slow down something I can always import it in audio-editing programs (like Audacity, ADAW).
Also, sometimes if I can't figure out how something is played, I can go on YouTube and watch live versions with video, they are often in poor quality but you can still often see where is he playing, at least which strings and how high on the neck => helps you figure out the notes.

ReplyQuote
(@divindevin)

Hi, I found a music slowdown software recently that I am so satisfied with, way beyond the other ones I have tried. It is called mTrax by Terrasofta.com. Everytime I open the software, all of my current tracks are automatically loaded, so if I have added new music, it is there ready for me to make sections and slow down. I make gig lists and cycle through my difficult sections). You can loop at increasing tempo or keep it the same. I have made such improvement since I found this one and vastly shortened my time spent learning new songs. After I bought it I had a question, and I got exemplary support too. It is priced like the rest of them but just seems to have so much more than the other ones that I have tried. I highly recommend it.

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member

I use Audacity (it's free) for mp3 files. I can highlight a passage, slow it down, even repeat it ad infinitum if I need to. It's an awesome way to get a riff down.

Back in the horse and buggy days of only 3 TV channels, I only had a BSR turntable. Usually, I listened to something over and over again until I thought I had it (or at least close). Although a few times, like when I was trying to learn the "Stairway to Heaven" solo, I dropped the turntable speed from 33 to 16 and matched my string pitch. That was my "slow down" back in 1975. I got really good at where to drop the needle.

I retired from music just as CDs were becoming the media of choice, then took it up again after the dot-com bubble popped. Honestly, having a PC in my practice room is an invaluable tool. :D

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I use Reaper to slow it down and also use EQ and pitch shifting to bring the bass out so I can pick out the bass lines.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@mikeyh)

Slow Down technology will change your playing instantly! Before you choose one, I recommend giving Song Surgeon a whirl. Free demo will blow you away, it did me. Figured I can't go wrong with their no questions guarantee, so I got Pro version, haven't looked back since. Like having a mini Pro Tools studio specifically to train, and it cops files directly off YouTube. No matter what brand you opt for, definitely a must have! Here's the Song Surgeon demo link if you're interested http://songsurgeon.com

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I use The Amazing Slow Downer

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2