Skip to content
WHY do I do this to...

Notifications
Clear all

WHY do I do this to myself! Why! Why! Why!

63 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@Anonymous)

Well, I wasn't going to go to Guitar Center for their sale today but I just couldn't resist. I figured everything I could afford would be sold out by the time I got there. I arrived at 8:30am and it really wasn't that crowded. I figured the sales could have been that good...

I went in and of course was greeted by the hostest...turned and the first guitar I see is this Ibanez AK85-DVS Hollowbody...it was violin sunburst in color. It had a clearence tag on it but I was reluctant to look at the price...$199! Well I figured it was a B-Stock or something was wrong with it. Plus I figured it played terribly! It was set up PERFECT and sounded SWEET without even plugging it in! I plugged it into a Fender Frontman because I didn't want anyone to hear how crappy I played! One of the managers was playing a few feet away. Tis thing played AMAZING! The manager asked me what I thought I said I was just amazed. I asked if I could put it aside while I walked around. Of course he asked if I would be interested in a case or bag. I asked about the bag and he said they were nice but a hollowbody should be in a hard case. I agree with him on that. He showed me a TKL case with fur lining that retailed for $89. But he said the sale offered 10% off the case. I walked around a bit trying to talk myself out of buying it. I couldn't! I was there a few weeks back and saw a Fender F212 amp used for $149 and I passed on it! Not this time..I bought it and the case! After taxes it came to $300 even! The guitar normally retails for $400 so I think I did OK. I guess they weren't going to carry the Violin finish anymore or Ibanez was going to stop making that color.

One thing though I am having difficulties getting the protective paper out from unter the bridge...I can't figure out why it's even there! Any ideas? (see the 2nd picture).

Besides a tele I have wanted a hollowbody or a semihollowbody for blues style...now I have one! However, I don't know why I do this to myself! I think I need GA (Guitars Anonymous)! My 12 string will be in Tuesday...WHY WHY WHY WHY!

Of course I have pictures!

8) :? 8) :?

(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Dude that is a beautiful guitar. I think you need to stop worrying and be so happy you got a good deal on it. I'm sure given a few days you wont be feeling guilty.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

There's no such thing as "too many guitars". There's "my house is too small", but definately not "too many guitars" :mrgreen:

That's a beautiful finish too, and it'll be even sweeter if they do stop making that finish as it'll be all the more unique.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The foam under the bridge is to keep customers and clueless salespersons from scratching the top by moving the bridge around. It also helps avoid the same while the strings are loosened somewhat during shipping. To remove it, loosen the strings to a point where you can lift the bridge enough to slide out the foam. Note that bridge positioning determines intonation. Carefully position the bridge, and retighten the strings to pitch. If the intonation is not correct, loosen the strings. shift the bridge, re-pitch and check intonation. Repeat 'til done.

It should sound better without the foam, as it interferes with bridge coupling to the body.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Congrats on the beautiful guitar man. Looks like you found a steal!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Lovin' that!

And chordsandscales made me laugh. :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks gnease...that worked!

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Sometimes I could cry.....that's one beautiful guitar - if it sounds as good as it looks you must be really stoked :)

Honestly, that's fantastic and I'm very jealous :mrgreen:

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very, very nice Mike! 8)

Congrats!
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

George Thorogood eat your heart out! I just tuned to open G (DGDGBD) and started Bad to the Bone! Man this sounds GREAT! 8) 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats on the new guitar. That is a nice looking instrument. 8)

Enjoy.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

that's great!

i was going to buy a semi-hollow body Ibanez similar looking to that when it was $450 at GC. then i bought my Martin and have no regrets. today i was calling GC to find out how much the Baby Taylor is on sale but it's not reduced enough for me to buy it right now.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Sorry guys..I know I am probably over indulging but I have to post this clip of this guitar. I have only been working on it for about 45 minutes but I just wanted you to hear this thing...

Bad to the Hollowbody!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

that sounds BAD!

wait. am i getting you mixed up with somebody? aren't you the one that's been playing for like, six months and has about eight guitars? cause you sound great!

ReplyQuote
(@derecola)
Trusted Member

MIKE.THAT IS A BEAUTIFULLY AXE,HOW DOES IT PLAY?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5