Notifications
Clear all

Why Does Epiphone Get No Love?

42 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

First Squier I got, a strat - came with amp case etc, sort of a starter kit - I bought from a catalogue, was the only way I could afford a guitar at the time...nice guitar for the price, nicely set-up, sounds just as good to me as my mate's Fender...

Earlier this year after seeing Status Quo, decided I had to have a tele...so I went off to the local music shop, tried a couple of Fender's, wasn't too keep...I said to the assistant, "my Squier Strat sounds as good as those"... he looked down his nose in that world-famous supercilious shop-asistant I'm-better-than-you kind of way and informed me they had a Squier Tele in stock if I'd care to try it...so I did, and I bought it....

Then a couple of months ago, one of the guys I jam with on a tuesday night was selling an Epi Les Paul for £80..so I tried it first, liked it and bought it...even took it to Texas with me....

A friend of mine has an epi acoustic, very nice guitar...

So, in my (admittedly limited) experience, Squiers and Epiphones are very nice guitars indeed...and like Teleplayer mentioned, Smokindog'll tell you the same thing...he bought a Squier Tele about the same time as I got mine, only has nice things to say about it....

Anyway, take a look at the epiphone website, look at the specs, and look at the care and attention that goes into the manufacture of them...

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

For some this may seem weird, but IMO, you are still paying for a brand name. Squier always has "made by Fender" on it, and Epiphone's ad always have "authorized by Gibson" or something like that on it. They still are getting a nice fat profit off that name... For budget guitars (Budget is my only type of guitar :wink:), I'd rather go with a lesser name guitar, like something for Rondo: http://www.rondomusic.net/
They most likely are made in the same factory, and without the extra $$ added because of the name.

For instance, compared to Crank 'n Jam's Epi, for about the same price, you can get this: http://www.rondomusic.net/al3500presthsbduncan.html

1. Real SD pickups (Jazz and '59) as compared to the Epi stock p/ups
2. Solid 3/4" (!!!) FLAMED maple cap (That means that the entire top is flame, not just the top part of it.) I reckon the Epi has a varnish flame top
3. High Quality Pots (As opposed to the shoddy electronics like you said)
4. Real Gotoh bridge and tailpiece as opposed to the cheapie Epi stock one.
5. MIJ pickup selector switch as opposed to the lower quality Epi one.
6. Solid two piece mahogany body, as opposed to a two, three or four piece alder/mahogany Epi back...
7. One piece solid mahogany neck with ebony fretboard and real abalone inlays as opposed to the Epi neck with rosewood fretboard and cheaper MOP inlays
8. Professianally cut bone nut (pre cut graphite nut included aswell) with GHS strings installed, as opposed to maybe a plastic one(Don't really know on this one, but its probably plastic) on the Epi with stock strings.
9. Triple bound body and headstock and bound neck, as opposed to the Epi, which is just "bound"

You get my point. I mean, I bet Epi's and Squiers are great guitars, but you can get so much more for your money by not depending on the headstock and horn. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

yoyo, youve got me thinking about getting a rondo guitar (s) :lol:

its true though, these guys are jsut boasting that they ahve the brand name, and they don't neccesarily undertsand the concept of other companies making good guitars. However, I have to add something, I was at my friend's house today and he has a squier fat strat, it's playable but I really found it difficult. The action's a tiny bit high, but it's really a bad experience to play it. The nexck is hard to move across. I have a fender standard strat, there's only about $130 difference between our guitars but between the two, Ive been told that the fender is easier to play.

Maybe it's only this example but I feel there is a difference between squier and fender guitars, with the better quality leaning toward the low priced fender guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Which should be accpeted in this case: "It's not the tool but how you use it." Or: "A craftsman is only as good as the tool he uses".

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think the Agiles from Rondo are the same as Epiphones. FWIW, I did some Googling on Korean guitar factories and found that there are quite a few, belonging to different companies. There's not just some monolithic "Samick." The guitar line most closely related to the Agiles is the Tokai "Love Rocks" series. I've got two Agiles, and am highly impressed with their appearance, feel, playability and sound. I've heard enough good reports that I don't think that's unusual.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

When I rode a Honda, Harley riders bashed it. I eventually got me a harley, and now the Honda oweners I know bash it. At the end of the day, it only matters who had the most fun doing what they do.

Oh, and I love my Epi. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

ReplyQuote
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member

I got an Epi LP Std last year, in sunburst finish, beautiful looking guitar..... I love it, feels good, stays in tune nicely, and has a lovely solid tone. I am sure, that like with anything else, an expensive guiatr would be lovely, but this is nice enough for my ability. I play a lot of golf, and i think a similar adage is true... the really cheap, budget end stuff is usually workmanlike, but not great, and u will want to graduate.... but from there, its a matter of personal tatse. My irons are worth £200, but i would never trade them in for a set based purely on name or price, because i love the feel of these ones... my driver, also, £35 second hand, (lovely titleist driver, crazy price) but i crash it 320 yards, so why trade in?
Just my thoughts, apologies for the cross referenceing!!

Rob

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You know it's funny, but I've read very good things about Agile. So Agile (for the most part) gets great reviews and the very same people turn around and bash Epiphone. Silly, IMO.

Yoyo, that Agile you link to looks VERY nice. I poured over that site several times. I'm wanting to add a semi-hollow to my inventory at some point. Some of those SX's and Agile's look nice. But I'll probably end up going with an Epi Alleycat or something similar.

Like Chris and others, I will own a high-end guitar someday. My playing skills just do not warrant spending that kind of moola at this time though.

Anyway, thanks everyone for giving some Epi love. :D

BTW, anyone got picks of some of those Epi's? I'd love to see them. I posted this before, but here's a shot of mine:

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I forgot to add, that it's basically people want to justify their buying a good brand.

Personally, Ill go with whatever's quality despite what the brand name is. Im going to order an epiphone g400 custom (pics are coming the second it gets here) soon, and Im glad epiphone can make a good guitar, which makes me ourchase from them.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Mine looks exactly like your, except the pickups are covered with chrome.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

You know it's funny, but I've read very good things about Agile. So Agile (for the most part) gets great reviews and the very same people turn around and bash Epiphone. Silly, IMO.

Yoyo, that Agile you link to looks VERY nice. I poured over that site several times. I'm wanting to add a semi-hollow to my inventory at some point. Some of those SX's and Agile's look nice. But I'll probably end up going with an Epi Alleycat or something similar.

I own an Agile strat, and call me crazy, but I truly think it feels, plays, sounds, etc. better than any MIM or Squier in its price range. I'm not bashing Fender or Squier, they make exellent guitars, but in my mind, I got a better guitar than the MIM for half the price. Also, its silly to bash Agile and other brands like it if you haven't played one yourself.

BTW VERY nice setup! :D :D LP and a Fender tube amp. Classic. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Recently I played three different Epiphone "MasterBilt" acoustics at Guitar Center and they were all very impressive. At least as good as the Gibson that was sitting nearby, at a fraction of the price (and the Gibson was used, but still more expensive!)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I own an Agile strat, and call me crazy, but I truly think it feels, plays, sounds, etc. better than any MIM or Squier in its price range. I'm not bashing Fender or Squier, they make exellent guitars, but in my mind, I got a better guitar than the MIM for half the price. Also, its silly to bash Agile and other brands like it if you haven't played one yourself.

I really do think Noteboat nailed it. You'll get excellent "cheap" guitars and crappy "expensive" guitars. There's just no way all Agile's, Epi's, Squiers, etc. are crap (I'm sure there are some though) and there's no way all Gibson's, Fender's, etc. are excellent.
BTW VERY nice setup! :D :D LP and a Fender tube amp. Classic. :)

Thanks! With the addition of a Tubescreamer, I've really fallen in love with the combo. Hopefully the addition of the '57 Classic pups will seal the deal.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Which should be accpeted in this case: "It's not the tool but how you use it." Or: "A craftsman is only as good as the tool he uses".

Both. A good carpenter can build a house with just a hammer and a saw. Give him planes, miter boxes and other stuff and you'll get a better looking house... give the good stuff to a non-carpenter and probably you won't get as good a house as the pro armed with just a hammer and saw.

A good guitarist can make decent music with a poor guitar, and better music with a better guitar. A poor guitarist will see some improvement with a good guitar, but not be able to bring out its full potential.

The guitarist's skill sets the potential - the upper limit of the music. The guitar sets the limit on how much potential can become music.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3