Why im doing this... (Edited)

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

If anyone would like these your welcome to download or print. I put alot of time in putting them together. Each page is dedicated to:

1. One of the five "CAGED" scale fingering shapes.

2. Each mode represented therein, (horizontal approach).

3. The 7th arpeggio for each mode (Chord tones) from within the original scale.

4. The pentatonic shapes for the I, IV and V modes. To acheive their relative minors (as you already know) just begin on the sixth interval of the original mode.

::: I RECOMMEND ::

To practice these choose a page for each day of the week, Mon-Fri. Ive set it up as follows:

Mon - C
Tues - A
Weds - G
Thurs - E
Fri - D

If you are beginning this regimen on a day besides Mon just follow the suit anyway, or define your own process. Theres alot of info here, but I put it together well enough to practice Scales, Arpeggios and even Chords relatively easilly.

I did it mostly because Im tired of flipping through 8 chapters and 160 pages of guitar book info just to find the 10 charts Im looking for.

Hope this makes your practice world a little easier.

Kido

ENJOY

Kido

Email me if you have questions

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice job! Looks like you put alot of time into these charts. I'm definately going to try to work them into my practices. Thanks alot! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

COOLTASTIC

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

yeah, that was really nice of you. i read your artical too and it was very informative, i don't really understand some of it but i will go and reread it a couple of times until i do. it was late, i was sleepy, when i read it lol, but i wanted to say thanks alot for your efforts, they will help me out alot.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

So, for your practice regimen, you would recommend choosing somewhere on the neck, running through all the modes, playing each of the seven arpeggio patterns in every possible combination, and running through the 3 pentatonic shapes? Do I understand this right? Seems like it must take a lot of time each day, and do you remember any of it?

One of the touted advantages of the CAGED system is the ability to form a chord or scale, instantly, just about anywhere on the neck. Here, you seem to have dropped that idea of interlocking chord shapes and sequences. Is the CAGED system now more a way to remember the shapes of the scales?

Sorry, Ive never really been taught that system and I'm just having a bit of difficulty digesting all this info. Hope I'm not just being thick.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

You know its really funny but only one person understood all of the things Ive been doing here at guitar noise, he is 11 years old and he said..

"I dont understand any of the stuff youve posted abou graphs and stuff, but now I know that there are some people out there doing SO much with the guitar and all that theory stuff, and it makes me want to catch up."

So it seems Ive spent maybe 40-50 hours a week (litterally, because Im at my job doing this right now) producing diagrahms, regimens, speculations, graphs, charts and strategies. Yup....this would be true.

Is it because I think you need to know CAGED format? Or because I think you need to forget it? Do I want you to memorize every possible arpeggio possible or be able to run a scale 2-4 octaves and back while citing every note and degree? Of course not.

But let me say this, has anyone ever read Platos works, or at least the Republic? Or Aristotles Lyceum or Ethica? I read them all day at my desk here, Ive got a copy of their complete works within arms reach all the time. Im not saying you need to read philosophy or anything like that, this is merely for people who have been exposed to their works to understand.

There are people in this world who learn, create, memorize, theorize and hypothesize for absolutely no reason at all. And theyve done it for thousands of years. Some of us go to Calculus 2 (like me unfortunately) at a University (UNH for anyone in the area) and have no idea what to do with it, but for me, tackling the theory of guitar and music and kicking its ass until it makes sense is a huge passion.

Alot of the things I put together may be incorrect, illegitemate, or just plain useless. But it takes alot to get from "Ode to Joy" to "Little Wing" and this is the path Ive chosen.

Whats your path???????

Kido

P.S Aristotle, Plato, Atholeus, Achynom and all the others sat around and thought about things all day. They used rhetoric to argue proven points and contradictions to their own theories just to prove that they could. Language, Politics, Biology, methodology, ethics, and esthetics are HUGE categories of life....the guitar is much smaller....and in many ways much more beutiful, I wont let anyone learn more faster then me....and if they do Ill challenge them in every aspect to grasp what they know.

Im only sharing where I am today.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I see where you're coming from. I'm not so focused as you, but I often ponder things that probably don't ever occur to most people. I'll spend large amounts of time pondering the minutae of my technique, for example. That's one reason I like to post answers to basic technique questions so much. It helps me focus myself on one aspect of my playing, such as the exact way I approach a string when popping (on the bass). I suspect that, similarly, posting the charts you produce is a way to examine what you're up to; it forces you to conceptualize the information fully enough to relay it to everyone here.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Real nice work of putting it all together. thanks. If you don't mind I'd like to print the images and carry them in my briefcase I use for material such as this. They will come in handy down the line.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thats what its there for.

I wonder how hard it is to publish a theory book....

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thats what its there for.

Kido

You could ask this guy:

http://www.sheetsofsound.net/

Jack Zucker (JAZ) is a regular on the rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz newsgroup. Based on his postings there, publishing "Sheets" has been rewarding and frustrating experience.

BTW, his book comes very highly recommended (I haven't seen more than examples).

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@spike)

Hi kido,

Just wanted to thank you for the effort you have put into offering this material. I've just returned to guitar after a 15 year break and want to learn it properly this time around!

I have a few issues with the document however, the page numbers are contrived, pages within the document with same numbers ie: Ia and 1a, this may be intentional but I had to think about it and get my head around it..
Im also having difficulty understanding the use of the permutations for the pentatonic's and arpegios's. Instructions say to use EITHER the permutaions chart OR the pentatonic scale on either page 1a - 1d without reaching second root of the permutations. For some reason I just cant click with the logic behind it.. its probably obvious but I cant see it :(

Besides that, I've found it helpful and my scales have improved dramatically already and even over the last week that I've been using it.

Cheers,
spike

ReplyQuote
(@rtb_chris)
Eminent Member

Kido
Heh...putting a book together is more difficult than it might seem, especially when you don't have a team of people working on all the minutia for you. :D

I was wondering, though, how did you make all those diagrams and get them to look so clean and neat?

http://www.raisingthebarre.com

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oooh... that's.... interestingly complicated... Too bad i suck... :cry:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote