Clear all

Why is the Mac Better than the PC?

48 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is a little off topic.. But why is the MAC so much more popular in music and art?

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Mac - Plug and Play

Windows - Plug and Pray

'nuff said. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Because it is NOT based on anything produced by Microsoft.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Windows - Plug and Pray

HAHA!!! I can relate!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Keep in mind I'm not a mac user. I do know however that for hardcore music editing you need a reliable machine and try as you might you can't freeze a mac!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

why is the MAC so much more popular in music and art?
Because Mac has less marketshare and musicians and artists like to think that they are different, rebellious, individual, and/or non-conformist.

PC is just as capable. Use whichever one you prefer.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Maybe in Bill Gate's dreams. But not in reality. There is a difference and recording studios are businesses and meant to make money. I doubt they'd allow some rebellious attitude to get in the way of performance. The majority use Mac (and pay more for them) for a reason.

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

It's also impossible to have a rational discussion with a zealot.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

If theyr so much better why doesnt everyone get one instead of a Windows based PC?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

PC is just as capable

Who was it that posed the question "Who could ever need more than 640Kb memory". If I remember rightly, it is the same person who is selling an OS that won't run sensibly on less than 256Mb of RAM and 1Gb of disk space!!!

Windows is bloatware. It needs a whole pile of memory and disk space to even boot let alone run a program decently. Windows started life as a cut down version of Xenix, designed to run on a machine that used a maximum addressable memory space of said 640Kb. Then Gates decided to add functions that others, like Apple Lisa, had invented. Using some very sharp (i.e. barely legal) business tactics, he killed off most of the competition and continued the development of an OS that is barely able to stay up and running without straining the capacity of the hardware.

Windows current file system is a bloated version of their 8 bit file system anno 198x.

Steve Jobs started from scratch. He built an OS that didn't suffer the inherent problems that Bill Gates had created for himself (e.g. compatibility to MS-DOS and a 640Kb memory problem).

Why do you think that most professional graphics studios choose Apple over Windows? It has nothing to do with individualism, just hard commercial fact.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

Steve Jobs started from scratch. He built an OS that didn't suffer the inherent problems that Bill Gates had created for himself (e.g. compatibility to MS-DOS and a 640Kb memory problem).
You are mistaken. OS X is based on the FreeBSD kernel.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

You are mistaken. OS X is based on the FreeBSD kernel.

Personally, I could care less if it were based off of this kernel -

Maybe Windows owns the vast majority of the business world, but it doesn't compare to the varied media industries. They are without a doubt, Mac based.

Wishus, you call me zealot, but read your own reasoning for Mac users - different, rebellious, individual, non-conformist.

I dare think that studios have much more reasoning behind their use of Mac's than you give them credit for.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You are all wrong...it's linux

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

Wishus, you call me zealot, but read your own reasoning for Mac users - different, rebellious, individual, non-conformist.
The original question, as I understood it, is why the distribution of mac users to PC users in the artistic world was different than the distribution of mac users to PC users in the world at large. My answer was that the distribution was different because artistic people tend to want to be different, and make choices based on that inclination. It's the same reason people think their favorite band "sold out" when they become popular.

You can make good art on both platforms. Use whichever one you are comfortable with. Pick whichever one you like. They both have pros and cons.

BTW, I have 3 PCs at my house and only 1 of them runs Windows full-time. Another dual boots, and the third doesn't run Windows as all. So don't assume that PC = Windows. As operating systems go, I think Windows is a piece of junk, but it runs on my hardware and it's "good enough" to run Cakewalk so I can record some music. And that's what really matters to me - recording music, not what OS I'm using.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Acually, it was Steve Wosniak that created the Apple computer in 1984. Steve Jobs just marketed it.(Ok, geek side off now. 8)) I have a mac that my dad bought for me(no, I'm not rich, I still question how he payed it off.), and its not that its just powerful, but its simple too. I mean, Garageband isnt a 2000 dollar software app for recording, but for $50 bucks, it serves its purpose, and it does it extremely well. Also, Apple is to the computer world as Gibson is to the guitar world. Some people think they are overpriced(me, included) but for the people that can afford them, they are awesome.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4