Clear all

Why is the Mac Better than the PC?

48 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

:oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

me too! :D

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Can we say flame war? Close this post. Most of it is not even guitar or music related and there have already been numerous rude posts. Destroy.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Can we say flame war? Close this post. Most of it is not even guitar or music related and there have already been numerous rude posts. Destroy.

I am very grateful for this thread, I learned a lot. As a (trying to be) musician, I now know that maybe a Mac will better suit my needs as an up and coming musician.

Thanks fiberoptik for starting this thread!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Lol. Disputing opinions within the disputing opinion thread.Good stuff.

I vote we ban all threads forever!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Now that's deep. :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think you'd be making a silly choice to switch to a Mac just to record music.

There are plenty of excellent PC choices for recording, whether or not you prefer them.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It's not just that. I've been having a lot of problems with my PC lately i.e. bogging down because of memory or virus, I don't know (Right now at home I have 1.2 gig's and running XP on my laptop, and I've heard that XP is as close as your going to get to a Mac) and I thought that a Mac would handle that a little better (I've talk to a lot of people about this and the consensus seams to be, get a Mac (side note: At work I run an automated machine (XYZ) and do the programming of said machine but, by far am I a computer wiz) and at work we are starting to look into Mac's because of the graphic's side of it. I also bring work home with me, so I thought that maybe I might have a little more “compatibility” between everything. Basically, when it comes to computers……. I'm all over the place!

I've also heard that it is a good idea to have two PC's, one for every day use and one for recording and what not.

Also, I've done some research on the new “mini mac's” for $500. They run 256 DDR and from what I've heard, they would be just as powerful as what I'm running now at home. For the record, yes, I know the mini does not include- monitor, keyboard or mouse.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I forgot to mention, I use Cakewalk Pyro 2004 on my PC and am happy with it. It's just the other issue's I'm having at the moment with my PC that is making me think about making "the switch".

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you haven't already, you might run one of the anti-spyware programs, like, I dunno, HiJackThis or AdAware. Spyware I've heard, can bog an otherwise virus clean machine.

Except if it's a Mac (I've heard).

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've not heard of spyware or viruses that attack MACs. Both are written in assembler and make use of weaknesses in the OS and are, therefore, specific to Windows and Intel-type processors, or whatever.

Besides, you're not going to stop the world by infecting the MACs.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

By the way, to anyone who thinks that Macs are "immune" from crashes, hangs, freezing up, losing data, etc: you are wrong. It is a more stable OS than Windows, but it does have its bugs and glitches which can end up in a complete reinstall situation...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've not heard of spyware or viruses that attack MACs. Both are written in assembler and make use of weaknesses in the OS and are, therefore, specific to Windows and Intel-type processors, or whatever.

Besides, you're not going to stop the world by infecting the MACs.

I strongly suspect your last point is the key. Macs are more "immune" because of the smaller market share (less of a hacker coup) and even the image/aura. I don't know a lot about the specifics of the Mac OS, but nothing is impenetrable. I am sure a(n) (im)properly motivated and talented virus designer could do a Mac.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

If you are recording music on a computer - Mac or PC - I would recommend that you keep it disconnected from the internet. Network traffic eats up a small amount of CPU cycles, even more if you have a USB or wireless network adapter.

If you are recording on a Windows PC, this is even more important because virus/spyware scanners eat up significantly more CPU cycles and memory. You don't want to be running those programs while you're recording, but if you have a Windows PC on the internet they are a necessity.

It is certainly possible to record on a networked Windows PC with virus scanners and whatnot running in the background, but it will affect performance. How much it affects performance will correlate to how complex your tracking/mixing sessions are.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

It's the same point as with e.g. OPERA. it could be hacked as well, and as easy as the standard Microsoft IE.
"but?"
Not a lot of people care to do so because they could theoretically only affect a very small part of all users and the spreading would extinguish itself.
"so?"
it's pointless because the purpose of a virus/worm/elephant (whatever you call it) is to feed money to anti-virus companies thus an agent only affecting 1% of all users is irrelevant...

that's why it's "safe" with other systems than standard microsoft.
No program in the world is bug free... :D

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4