Clear all

Wikinson locking tuners?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-in-line-Wilkinson-Gold-locking-guitar-tuners-No-1-2_W0QQitemZ130189206214QQihZ003QQcategoryZ22672QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Anyone have any experience with these? They're what I'm looking for, but they seem strangely cheap compared with Sperzel or Gotoh etc. I get the impression that either they won't hold tune too well, or the gold paint with wear of too easy. :?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

They are inexpensive because of the simple locking design, which basically is two, perpendicular holes in the post/capstan. To lock the string, one threads it through one hole, pulls tight, then threads through the second; snip and done.It doesn't cost a lot to drill a second hole. Other than that, these tuners are very much like a "normal" non-locking tuner.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

in other words - they barely qualify as locking tuners... :?:

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I've had them on two of my guitars, one a hardtail (Les Paul copy) and one a Strat, and I use the trem bar regularly. Never had any problems w/ them staying in tune. They're a pretty decent deal. For the B and high E strings give 'em two or three wraps around before threading them through the other hole. All the other strings I only ever put a single wrap.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've had them on two of my guitars, one a hardtail (Les Paul copy) and one a Strat, and I use the trem bar regularly. Never had any problems w/ them staying in tune. They're a pretty decent deal. For the B and high E strings give 'em two or three wraps around before threading them through the other hole. All the other strings I only ever put a single wrap.

TZ

Cool. Can you tell what the finish like is on them? Meaning is it the gold paint liable to wear easily? (assuming you got em in gold...)
I asked a guy on youtube about em also. He said they were pretty reliable too. Im on a bit of a budget with my custom strat you see lol...

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've never had any trouble with them either.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

in other words - they barely qualify as locking tuners... :?:

It's easy to underestimate the power of an "obvious" solution. I think this is a rather simple and elegent way to better anchor the string. From an engineering PoV, many of the other locking systems are needlessly complicated, and produce no better results for basic, non-slip anchoring. These can do the non-slip thing well - whether or not you decide to call them "locking."

While I wouldn't hesitate to put the Wilkinson's on a guitar to prevent string slippage, I would not consider them for a guitar where I use the locking tuners to quickly remove and attach the neck for airline carry-on. I use Grovers for that.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

I had them on my project guitar and they worked great. 8) good for the price

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I did have the gold ones on my Les Paul knockoff, but I no longer have that guitar. Finish seemed acceptable to me, but I never really travelled with it so it's not like it saw a lot of abuse or anything. The black ones I have seem quite resilient, almost a powder-coated finish.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I've had these and they work very well. The black finish appears very durable.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote