Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Will I ever be able to play a riff...

(@greenstuart)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

if I can't even tap it out on a desk???
The riff in question is from The Manic Street Preachers 'Motorcycle Emptiness'-obviously very popular as my last post about it got a grand total of 0 replies!!!
Hopefully if I put my problem in more general terms I may get a better response.
The riff in question is all on the g string but is played really fast going up the neck palm muting just the one string.
I can't seem to even tap it out on the desk as it's quite a fast staccato rythmn.
Does anyone have any tips???
Also what is the best way to palm mute quite a high string?
With the actual palm or perhaps with a finger???
Thamks in advance...
Stu

(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Greenstuart

I am not familiar with the song - however a quick tab search I located the song at:

http://www.guitaretab.com/m/manic-street-preachers/11085.html

and

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/manic_street_preachers/my_little_empire_tab.htm

I would say the string is muted by lightly touching it with a finger.

As far as building speed - it would be the same advice when practicing scales - slow enough to be accurate and havng the proper technique.

Like the the author of the second tab referenced above stated
Quote: 'I've spent ages trying to get the intro right'

This is a good indicator that it will take perseverance and that "NEVER GIVE UP ATTITUDE"

BS

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'll look it up later today and see if I can give you any pointers. Until then, best advice is to persevere, talk about it, run it by any other musician friends you know, see if they have any insight.

When I'm off work I'll give it a listen see if I can make sense out of it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'm at home now, and listening to the song... great intro!

The lead part for the most part is just a matter of having good technique and a moderate amount of speed. The more melodic part, which you hear first, contains a couple of spiffy bends, followed by a quick little sequence of 4 16th notes, followed by what is no doubt your "run of doom", indeed all palm muted on the G string.

A couple of pointers however:

The beat on that quick run is straight, no triplets that I can detect... just a matter of keeping it even. You won't need to move your hand fast enough to hit every one however, only half the speed, using alternate picking (hitting the string moving your pick both up and down).

As you've noted, then, the hard part will actually be palm muting a higher string, which isn't easy when you've been muting only your E and A strings for a long time. You're going to want to use the same technique as when you mute a lower string however, you might just try moving your whole hand towards the ground a little bit. You are going to have to be more sensitive with your mute however, not only because of the thinner string (which will take less to mute) but also due to the speed you're going to have to work to get enough control not to choke the string while you play.

I'd recommend building up the pieces of the puzzle seperately: first learn to mute a high string (slowly) then work on increasing your speed on a lower string, focus on your alternate picking, try the D or A strings, move up, go faster, use a metronome... you'll be there before you know it... and you be playing an awesome intro.

Work hard!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@greenstuart)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a million Undercat that's a great help-thanks for the other piece of advice on the bend as well-regards-Stuart

ReplyQuote