Clear all

Will These work on this?

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok, I want to my my beginner guitar sound like kurt hammets or james het fields guitar. lol. I have a 150 dollar black epiphone les paul special II. Its not a les paul but it looks just like one but its epiphone. It has just regular ol' epiphone stockers for pick ups. I cant afford a new dean or jackson anymore, so.. :( I have no choice but to fix up the one i have. Heres my idea. Im going to put two Seymore Duncan Invader Pickups in. It already has two epiphone humbuckers so they look like they will fit in good. I am also going to put on super slinkys on. So, super slinkys and two 79.95 Seymore Duncan Invaders. So thats like 100.00 Now from you guys i need to know if they Duncan invaders will fit good, and have that deep heavy distortion just like metallicas sound. If they dont fit and or dont have a deep heavy crunchy distortion what pickups do, and fit for my guitar? It has the same body style as a les paul and they dit in a les paul thats why im imagining it would work. So what do you guys think. Also any other ideas i could do while im at it to improve my guitar without buying a whole new one???! :?

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'll see if I can find more, but here is something. Read further down.

It seems the EMG 81's are what Kirk used.

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

If you haven't done so yet, you should go here http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm and listen to the sound sample for those pickups. Can't say how they sounds compared to what you are looking for, but its a place to start.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The "metallica" sound is much more a product of the sound chain from the guitar to the speaker than the pickups and strings.

Sure, the pickups are PART of the equation, but they aren't the whole thing.

Kirk (not Kurt, btw) uses an ADA MP-1 vacuum tube pre-amp with an ADA programmable EQ through a MESA/Boogie Strategy 400 power amp. For lead work he puts the ADA MP-1 onto a low gain setting then switches on an Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Before you go spending money on your pickups, take a good hard look at the entire sound chain. Spend your money on the weakest part, and be very critical -- just because something is inexpensive doesn't make it weak. Epi stock humbuckers aren't horrible pickups.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I would say an EQ and a different amp will suit you better don't think you'll get there for $100. Sorry :cry:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Take a Tube Screamer into an ADA Pre-amp and feed that into a Mesa-Boogie, all parts interspersed with EQ's, wind it all up (to 11 :lol: ) and it's not going to make a blind bit of difference WHAT pickups you have on (as long as they work, of course).

If you're looking for glass clear tones, then by all means look at the pickups.

Motto: examine the whole chain, from start to finish. It's like a tug'o'war team - the sum of all the parts is more than all the individual parts, but one weak one will ruin the team.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Or spend £160 on a Pod, select the "Rectified" option to relicate the MESA/ Boogie dual recitifer setup, plug in your guitar and your amp and play.

What amp are you using?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What alan said. Modelers have the least problem with the heavier metal sound: A Pod 2.0/V-amp2 or even x-vamp could do the trick, and a whole lot more.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yup, gotta agree with most posts here. It isn't really the pick ups, it's your effects and such.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote