16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, firts, excuse my poor english...

I'm a new guitare player.

So... I try to play wish u where here with david hodge's lesson but, in the example 4, i did not reconnize notes... for example, he play 4 notes after the 4 string (Em7 to A7sus4) but, into the tab, i see only 3 notes...

here is the TAB :

And here the mp3 who is played : http://www.guitarnoise.us/onstage/audio/409/WISH3.mp3
Here, you can reach the lesson : https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=409

Thanks to help me because, its very frustrating... and once again, scuse my very poor english.. :(

Visit my BLOG!(in french...)

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

my guess is that David is playing the full four note run finishing with an open A instead of the first chord in the second measure. But I hope he corrects and adds to the notation because he completely loses me after two bars :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

my guess is that David is playing the full four note run finishing with an open A instead of the first chord in the second measure. But I hope he corrects and adds to the notation because he completely loses me after two bars :)

Didn't completely lose you because you figured it out precisely. I'll have to get some time and correct that, not to mention the hundreds of other typos that abound in the lessons! :wink:

Thanks for pointing it out and for being adventurous enough to figure out what was going on as well.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

First again, scuse my poor english... i'm from Québec, Canada :)

Can you make the Tab ? C'ause, its my firts songs i try to learn and, i'm bloked right there... i try to understand about primeta comments but, i cant..

Thank a lot !

U make me smile :) (like u say somewhere...)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Can't make it right now (way too many other things going on) but all you have to do is simply play the open A string (the "0" of the first chord of the second measure) instead of the whole chord for the first note of that measure. Very little could be simpler to do.

You'll want to form the whole chord anyway because you'll need it for the rest of the measure.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Didn't completely lose you because you figured it out precisely.
That's scary, could not have done that two years ago. I might have to buy myself a overdrive pedal just to celebrate. :D

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That's scary, could not have done that two years ago. I might have to buy myself a overdrive pedal just to celebrate. :D

A big part of learning is listening and trying out things yourself. Not to create a controversy, but a big problem many people have with learning stems from trying to recreate sounds instead of creating them (note to self: that's a great line! :wink: ). Once you start exploring your instrument yourself - exploring meaning trying to learn from what you do and not simply noodling - you will find out lots of things that you thought were hard are actually very easy to do. But if you're caught up with sounding like something you only notice that you don't sound right. Sounding "different" than an example is not the same as sounding wrong.

I think this is a lot of what Mr. Parker refers to in the "Need A Teacher" thread.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Is this what you wanted?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

A big part of learning is listening and trying out things yourself. Not to create a controversy, but a big problem many people have with learning stems from trying to recreate sounds instead of creating them (note to self: that's a great line! :wink: ). Once you start exploring your instrument yourself - exploring meaning trying to learn from what you do and not simply noodling - you will find out lots of things that you thought were hard are actually very easy to do. But if you're caught up with sounding like something you only notice that you don't sound right. Sounding "different" than an example is not the same as sounding wrong.

I think this is a lot of what Mr. Parker refers to in the "Need A Teacher" thread.

Peace

Excellent point! This hit home really recently for me. I've spent a lot of my time trying to sound like different artists, sounds, etc. I fired up some recordings of mine from a month or two ago and really realized that it actually sounds good! I need to quit trying so hard and thinking it doesn't sound right and just play!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes Inman .. :)

How can we do that : Slight pull on E string ? Is it the two note i hear after the A7sus4 ??

So... it's not easy for me but seen very easy for you to know where to go!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

irght19kc

It wasn't easy for me to fix that tab. I had to copy the pic to my computer, change the file type, paste in Paint, edit the tab, save, copy, go to Word, paste, change the file type, upload to Photobucket, then post here with an Image link. :D

Took me over half an hour. But I love everybody here on GuitarNoise and hope that I am helpful at times.

As far as that bent or pulled note, you simply raise the pitch slightly, probably one half step. I know this song but have not listened to it in a very long time, so I am not sure what you are hearing.

I think the point others are trying to make, and I agree with them, is that tabs are just a reference. They get you close. But no-one can play any song exactly like another for many reasons.

And what is important that you may not realize yet, is that it is very important to have your own distinct voice. You may not know it yet, but believe me, you do not want to sound like anybody else. In fact, what makes most musicians and singers famous is that they play and sing like no-one else.

So, don't worry if you don't play it exactly. Try putting your own style and originality into the song.

I am in a band. We play many cover songs. And you would recognize the songs if you heard them. But we in no way try to play exactly like the original artists. We actually try to sound different on purpose. We try to play the song our way.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

atleast wes should get a beer over this ...:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wes Inman

Thanks a lot to answer me, and to take time to do it :) that's help me.. be sure.

What i would like to say, its that seem to be easy for you to understand tab an others things about guitar playing... it is not the same for me.

I have no abilities for that, i'm "infographist" and have more abilites to work with comuter.. but.. it's a dream for me to play guitar to my child ! :) hope, one day !

This site is great for me... i learn "little by little"... In this way, i must starting somewhere and, maybe when i will a better player, i will play my "own distinct voice" like you say. But for now, like a said, i must use tab to try to learn something, i need a "mark bench". I dont know if U understand lol

Anyway, ... the best thing to do is pratice !

Thanks again, all !

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

irght19kc

I think I understand. Yes, I understand tab. I have been playing before there was tab. :D
So, my advantage is experience.

I would say that you should go to the theory section of GuitarNoise. That is where you will really learn about music, how scales and chords work together. That will give you a far better understanding of music than tab.

Tab is good, it shows someone who does not read music where to put their fingers. But it does not give you musical knowledge which is very important.

So, welcome to GuitarNoise and check out the Theory section.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Yes go read the theory section and work through some of David's earlier lessons. It will get easier, I couldn't have understood what was wrong two years ago. But I read and listened and although I'm still very bad at it, I am improving in tiny steps. :)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2