Clear all

Wooden Picks

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

cool never thought of this! what is the difference in tone anyone?

I'm sure someone can give a good technical explanation of why different picks make different sounds come out of the guitar but it's not me, it'll be something to do with harmonics or something of the different materials. I've only ever used a plastic pic or my fingers and even I noticed a different sound depending on what I'm doing :D

ReplyQuote
 idj
(@idj)

I've cut them out of credit cards and bank cards. Same tone as most plastic, I think. I've always been tempted to try hardwood, though.

Or how about 'WheatWare' They make a biodegradable pick based on wheat. Heavy 1.5mm. Or VPicks made of acrylic. There seems to be a million different types of picks out there. Most of us just use the regular ones from our local music store.

Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded. - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't like pics/plecs, whatever you want to call them. You hear so many guitarists say, "tone's in your FINGERS!" - why introduce a foreign body into the equation? I did try some stone picks once, a guy from Australia sent me a couple to try out, and I did a review of them - they were nice, and eliminated a lot of pick noise, and - although they were highly polished - were surprisingly easy to keep hold of.

But my main argument against them is simple....picks are great for strumming, but what happens when you have to change from strumming to fingerpicking half-way through a song? It's difficult enough to pick with a thumb and three fingers (does ANYONE actually use their pinky to fingerpick? I've never seen it....) but when you've only got a pick held between your thumb and forefinger and only two fingers left to pick with, I find it very difficult.

Ditch the plec, grow your nails...you'll be surprised how much extra control you have.

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

PS - It once cost me £72 to call a washing machine repairman out, a plec got stuck in the lint-trap and blocked the outflow. That particular plec went straight in the bin.......after being severely tortured!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ditch the plec, grow your nails...you'll be surprised how much extra control you have.

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

PS - It once cost me £72 to call a washing machine repairman out, a plec got stuck in the lint-trap and blocked the outflow. That particular plec went straight in the bin.......after being severely tortured!

A) I have fairly long nails on my right hand (the left used to match but it was impossible to fret with them). I started using a pick when I saw all the dust on my guitar...not because I was bothered about my nails so much as mucking up my beloved guitar.

B) Good point, I should check the pockets of my jeans before washing as I always seem to have a pick in there.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2