Clear all

Wow, must share

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, after my 2.5 years of playing this instrument (guitar), I've realized that I MUST join/start a band. So, the idea of songwriting (music-wise not lyrically) came to my head. So I gave it a whirl and in 15 minutes of noodling around I came up with something that actually sounded pretty cool. Now keep in mind I've tried this before and came up with garbage. So I guess I actually am learning something. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

michhill8

Congrats on the progress and songwriting. :D Just stay at it and you'll get there. And when you get that band started, you will really improve fast. The thing about being in a band is it forces you to play songs correctly. You must learn the intro, verses, chorus, solo, and outro (and maybe sing too). You can't stop when you make a mistake either. So good luck starting that band.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is terrific news. I would assume its kind of like songwriting (lyrically) too in that the more you do it, the easier it will become.

Keep it up

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You've got to be careful or before you realize it, you've learned a whole lot! :D Good for you, Michhill8!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations, Michhill!

So there is hope for those of us still struggling along, eh? Maybe the lights will come on here yet!

Best Wishes, and keep us posted about your new ventures.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Yeah, this has been happening with me too...now when I try to right a riff or whatever I actually sometimes come up with something good. I guess it just happens when you have been playing for a certain amount of time.

Congrats.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

That's awesome! I love that rush when, while doing the usual jamming and/or practicing, your ear catches something familiar or catchy that you just accidentally did, and you're able to immediately capitalize on it, and it's like your fingers just go where they're supposed to, and suddenly, there's that riff that you've never played before, or just created out of thin air...

...and then you play that same riff/passage over and over and over again for about 4 hours, trying different tones and effects, oblivious to the fact that everyone else in the house is real tired of hearing that same thing for hours. :D

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Join or form a band. You'll have SO much fun you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier. It'll force you to learn quicker and practice.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

Same here, I've been writing useless love songs all summer, and then I woke up at 5AM and wrote one of the best songs I've ever written. Songwriting comes from patience subtle inspiration, and a certain pull that frorces you to write something.
I suggest continuing your songwriting endeavours, and find people who share or wish to contribute to your unique musical voice.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

That's awesome! I love that rush when, while doing the usual jamming and/or practicing, your ear catches something familiar or catchy that you just accidentally did, and you're able to immediately capitalize on it, and it's like your fingers just go where they're supposed to, and suddenly, there's that riff that you've never played before, or just created out of thin air...

...and then you play that same riff/passage over and over and over again for about 4 hours, trying different tones and effects, oblivious to the fact that everyone else in the house is real tired of hearing that same thing for hours. :D

I absolutely LOVE that!

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Join or form a band. You'll have SO much fun you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier. It'll force you to learn quicker and practice.
Absolutely! And don't be disappointed if your creativity comes in spurts. Write down or record every idea you come up with - even if you think its crap......you never know when the perfect match comes up later.....

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Don't forget to drop a link to the song, once you record it - even if it is rough. I am interested in following the progress to a completed song.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks for the positive comments guys. Currently I have no recording software, but hopefully someday soon.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote