Clear all

WOW! That was cool...

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just fluked an incredibly loud and high pitched harmonic of some type on the second fret of the A or D string.

Isn't it fun when you fluke soemthing that sounds nice?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

That's how I write riffs half the time 8)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

haha, steve, I like that comment.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

These are called "sweet spots". You'll find them at various locations. If you have a floating tremolo system you create some great flash with them. Like a jet plane or an elephant sound.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ya. you'll find many more :
if you pick twelve frets away from where you finger the string yo will produce a cool overtone.
if you touch a ringing string very carefully 12 frets up it will produce an overtone.
if you choke up on your pick and let your finger nail or flesh hit the string almost at the same time as the pick you will get an overtone.
many players dont let the fretted note ring long enough.
if you do you can hear other tones that develop.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The thing is when I do harmonics/overtones like that usually it's extremely quiet, whereas when Hendrix et al do them they're a very loud (if short) screech.

How do I get them to be stronger/longer/higher pitched?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I know what you mean.

Hendrix did play really loud.

great question.
anyone?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member

not too sure about this as i'm definately no maestro but it could be down to your pickups and pickup height?

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Could well be.

I imagine it's partly to do with set-up and partly to do with a flawless technique which I don't have.

I think I smell the need for a GN article on pinched and natural harmonics!

(If there isn't already one)

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I actually just covered pinch harmonics in my guitar lessons this week. Occasionally I can get a nice loud one, but yeah, other than having the gain cranked all the way up, I think it's just technique that comes from practice, practice and a little more practice :wink:
That brings up an interesting point:

My favorite thing about guitar: if you want to learn some really cool technique/riff, you just have to practice a lot

My least favorite thing about guitar: if you want to learn some really cool technique/riff...you have to practice...A LOT!, lol

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I have found that if you crank everything, use the bridge pickup, and up the treble you get better pinch harmonics. A few artist who use pinch harmonics on purpose are Billy Gibbons, Zakk Wylde, and most metal guitarists. Some distortion pedals are more apt to amplipying these harmonics than others. One is the Zakk Wylde Overdrive. When placed infront of an already overdriven amp you get massive harmonics, but you have to deal with feedback.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I actually just covered pinch harmonics in my guitar lessons this week. Occasionally I can get a nice loud one, but yeah, other than having the gain cranked all the way up, I think it's just technique that comes from practice, practice and a little more practice :wink:

Care to pass on what your teacher told you?

:P

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I have found that if you crank everything, use the bridge pickup, and up the treble you get better pinch harmonics. A few artist who use pinch harmonics on purpose are Billy Gibbons, Zakk Wylde, and most metal guitarists. Some distortion pedals are more apt to amplipying these harmonics than others. One is the Zakk Wylde Overdrive. When placed infront of an already overdriven amp you get massive harmonics, but you have to deal with feedback.
Dimebag and Wylde are my two favourites for pulling off those insane pinch harmonics!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

Heres a trick I will share that makes pinch harmonics sound rediculous. Use a wah pedal and when u want a really high one put the top down and tot he pinch harmonic picking technique (nothings changed except the toe doen wah) the tow down wah will bring out the squeeeall lol.

have fun

ReplyQuote