44 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Just looking to start some conversation and mabye learn some of the easioer finger picking songs out there.

I'm currently working on Chet Atkins' version of Freight Train. It's so fun, and I can ALMOST here it coming through, but it's not there yet.

What was your first finger picking song? Do you still finger pick or do you prefer another style of playing?

Thanks,

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The first song I ever played finger picking was House of the rising sun when it first came out. Now I use a pick to play it. I just never got good at finger picking but I think if I were to "practice" it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

House of the Rising Sun for me too.

There must be thousands of us who started finger picking with that song. :)

The chords are pretty straightforward and the picking is often given as the standard thumb + 3 fingers, up and back run - P I M A M I.

There is a bit of a trick to making it sound better though (apart from not rushing it). The thumb should really have one more note before you change chords. For some reason, many tabs leave that out, but it makes a difference. P I M A M I P then P I M A M I P etc.

A lot of the "feel" of the song can really come out with the choice of timing and emphasis you give to those two thumb strokes at the chord change.

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Don't Follow - Alice In Chains

I have since come up with a little fingerpickin' ditty of my own, but I play with a plec for the most part.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Another for HOTRS ... shortly followed by Time in a Bottle and Blackbird.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

rising sun also, followed by "girl from the north country" a few months later and then "don't think twice, it's alright", both dylan songs.

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member

"Blackbird" by the Beatles- instantly recognizable, and very fun to learn. . . You'll know you're on track when you get the first notes right.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

HOTR was my first song as well...followed by some classical studies, then Dust in the Wind. I play classical guitar primarily so I fingerpick alot of stuff.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@steedman3)

Nothing Else Matters- Metallica for me. I play metal, but fingerpicking is addictive...

People tell me I'm sick and twisted. I tell them I have the heart of a little boy. It's in a jar, on my shelf.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I learned "romance" (I don't think that's the original name but it is that very popular classical piece, you know what I'm talking about...)

Hmm..found a link http://www.guitaretab.com/m/misc-classical/12225.html

It's really easy and impresses the ladies.

I also dig this new forum style.

It's also worth noting that Mark Knopfler played fingerstyle on his songs.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I started out with Going To California by Led Zeppelin.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Strangely enough, it was the Stone's As tears go by (probably because I could play the chord progression in my sleep), quickly followed by Dylan's Don't think twice (very similar chords, by the way), and then Dylan's Blowing in the wind, Mr Tambourine man, She belongs to me, Simple twist of Fate...
I began fingerpicking a few month ago, and though I'm not very good at it, I enjoy it a lot more than strumming.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

"Blackbird" by the Beatles- instantly recognizable, and very fun to learn. . . You'll know you're on track when you get the first notes right.
Do you have tab for that by any chance? I recently figured out the first measure because it is similar to an exercise I was working on in my fingerpicking book. But I'm such a beginner, I can't figure out the rest.

I am mostly studying fingerpicking now. I started years ago and then stopped. I think the first song I learned was Simon & Garfunkle's The Boxer.

I just learned House of the Rising Sun from a lesson here.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hotel California for me 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

REM - Everybody Hurts. Nice easy pattern to learn.

I can't beleive some of you guys first song was stuff like Dust in the Wind. For the FIRST song? Played at speed?

I am working on Time in a Bottle at the moment - lovely to play.

Matt

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3