Notifications
Clear all

Your first finger pickin' songs?

44 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

dust in the wind isn't as hard as it looks if you just get the basic picking pattern down. It uses mostly basic 1st position chord shapes.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

"Blackbird" by the Beatles- instantly recognizable, and very fun to learn. . . You'll know you're on track when you get the first notes right.
Do you have tab for that by any chance? I recently figured out the first measure because it is similar to an exercise I was working on in my fingerpicking book. But I'm such a beginner, I can't figure out the rest.

There is a lesson on this site for Blackbird and also on Guitarforbeginners.com
My first fingerpicking song was Dust in the Wind. I still do play fingerstyle and prefer it over any other playing method.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I tried House of the Rising Sun when I first started but since I couldn't change chords that well I didn't stick to it...Then I did Stairway to Heaven. Now I am working on Memories of Us by Keith Urban.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

For me it was House of the Rising Sun and Spanish Romance. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Mike, when I get my guitar back I need to record my fingerpickin version of "You'll think of me" for you and you need to share your "Makin memories of us" with me.

When me and my girlfriend get married, in 5 years or so, I want to play that for her at the wedding. I know.. LONG time til then but I really want to learn that song in a bad way.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I read on another guitar site a good way to finger pick, for some songs anyway, is to pinch your index finger and thumb together then pick with your index finger. I tried it and found it a lot easier to strum through than using a pick. Scratches your nail though. My first song doing this, and finger picking is Kittie - What I Always Wanted.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, when I get my guitar back I need to record my fingerpickin version of "You'll think of me" for you and you need to share your "Makin memories of us" with me.

When me and my girlfriend get married, in 5 years or so, I want to play that for her at the wedding. I know.. LONG time til then but I really want to learn that song in a bad way.

Geoo

NP geoo...but I'll be honest I am a LONG WAY away from recording that song...it's hard to hear Urban's part in the song...I have been using the PowerTab as my guide...

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yo Mike...you can play Stairway to Heaven already? I figure that one would take me a couple years. Do you have a recording of it? I would like to hear it. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yo Mike...you can play Stairway to Heaven already? I figure that one would take me a couple years. Do you have a recording of it? I would like to hear it. 8)

I have the beginning part of it recorded on my website..however I recorded it about a month and a half ago so it's so-so..

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I think is was Landslide. It was a tab from some other site before I found GuitarNoise.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

For me it was, bookends, fun song to play. Then house of the rising sun, and then blackbird. I'm just now getting to the point of singing along to these songs.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm just now getting to the point of singing along to these songs.
That take some work, I have never had a problem singing and strumming but singing and playing fingerstyle is a whole other story.
The first, and still only, song I can play fingerstyle and sing to is Fields of Gold.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, and then I would have to say Stairway to Heaven. At first I just learned the fingerpicking parts but now I've pretty much learned the whole song (I don't have it memorized anymore though), Also learned Dust in the wind.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - the Eva Cassidy version - unfortunately I can no longer remember the second half of the song, have to go look it up.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

There is a lesson on this site for Blackbird...
Thanks, got it. :D

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3