Clear all

Your First Guitar

22 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering, what was your first guitar like. Was it a cheap guitar bought for 50 bucks at a yard sale, one borrowed from a friend, or were you lucky and got that 400 dollar guitar that you drooled over imaging yourself as a guitar God? Mine was an Old cheap noname Classical guitar that my papa gave my brother. The Sound hole was warped, some of the upper frets were chipped and after I got it about 3 years later the fretboard popped off and I had to wood glue it back to the fretboard so I could keep learning. It was the most frustrating thing I ever had to deal with but I loved to play that thing. My papa gave me his Fender Dreadnaught after I learned a few songs but I still get out my first guitar and play it. Yellin and screamin at it but lovin ever minute of it =)
Love to hear about some others

Micheal :)

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

the first guitar i played was this old Hamer my dad bought for himself but the first uitar that was all mine and i owned was my fender strat

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I bought it a couple months ago with my hard earned cash that I got during the summer doing landscaping. It's an Ibanez gax30, cost me about $130 and I'm really liking it so far. The only thing I don't like about it is the input jack comes a little bit loose, but that's easy to fix. I bought it pretty much just for something cheap that I could learn on for a while before I get something more expensive.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

First guitar was a 1969 Univox Deluxe. Its a great guitar. Some downfalls but im fixing it up in the process just to be a basic jamming guitar. Its a fun little instrument. It needs a crowning of the frets and some new tuners and a new bridge but thats about all. I love her. Shes my baby (that i dont have much time to upgrade because i spend too much time playing).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

My first guitar was a (Beater) an Arianna accoustic, I paid 80 dollars for it used from a local guitar shop, It had a laminated top and the action was a little high, but I sanded down the saddle and played it for a year, just long enough to learn a few tunes, and how to srumm a chord or two. Once I felt like I would stick with it, I purchased a new guitar a Yamaha fg-04-LTD, it's a nice guitar solid top, the action is low, it's much easier to play, I can now hear, feel, and appreciate the difference in a nicer guitar.

My beater, well I gave to a friend who is wanting to learn I hope it will help him get his start.

ReplyQuote
(@sunsetncnja)
Trusted Member

A "Harana" 12-string dreadnaught from the Philippines. My dad found it in the garage, where in storage, the neck had separated from the body. We restored it and reinforced the neck joint by bolding an l shaped piece of metal to it. No joke. To this day, it is probably the sweetest sounding 12-string I've ever played. I have no idea why. Looking at the cracked finish, the bolt on the neck, and the mismatched machine heads, you'd think it would sound like a train derailing. People are always shocked when they see it, then hear the tones that come out of it.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

My first guitar was an acoustic, and Ibanez Performance (not sure if there is anything else to the name.) It was about $180. I was in a guitar score a few weeks ago and I was playing all of the acoustics, I found for the price the one I have was a great buy.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

My first guitar was a Memphis "Les Paul copy", I paid $125. It had good action which made it easy to learn on, and it didn't even sound that bad.

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member

My first (and only so far) is an ESP Viper 50. I got it out of a pawn shop for about $230. I wish I hadn't, though, becuse the innotation is all messed up on it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Teisco Del Rey short scale thinline hollowbody along with a Checkmate amp head and cab for the fantastically large sum of $100 (I was in eight grade). I did horrible things to that guitar -- broke and repaired the truss rod, replaced the electronics, tuners and pup covers (with P90 covers!) and eventually built a new maple neck for it from scratch. In the end, it was still the same POS Teisco, but I loved it. One sad day I replaced it with the (then unknown) Ibanez brand SG copy, and the Teisco was forgotten. I still have pieces of it -- pups, bridge, tailpiece -- in my parts bin.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

my first guitar was a Washburn acoustic my grandfather gave me. then i bought a Ibanez GAX 70 which i still tinker with today, then i moved up to the Nashville Tele which i love to death and i just bought a Epiphone SG with DiMarzzio (spelling) pickups used for $100 and it plays and sounds wonderful

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

My first guitar was a Yamaha f310. I think i got ripped off when i got it. It was $300 cdn.

It really sucks the first time you walk into a guitar store not knowing a thing, but you're determined to walk out of the store with a guitar to start your journey.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A lovely transparent red Washburn D-11 dreadnaught. At the time it listed for $389, but I actually paid Music123 $185 for it. I still like it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Mine was a Fransiscan Flat top acoustic. I hated the damn thing when I first got it eight years ago, mainly because it wasnt the Strat I wanted. Oddly enough it sounds better then my Guild D series. Its all I play for performances, I dont like the sound of accoustic plugged in. Its probably my favorite.

Anyone else ever had a Fransiscan? I think the thing only costs like 250.00.

Kido.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Oh, this brings up memories. I borrowed my cousin's Ibanez Strat-Want-To-Be. It was a $150 guitar and I hated that thing. Certain notes on the neck would not ring out. Dead spots. I must say it was good in that I dropped the think a few times and that maple really holds up well. After 7 months my cousin wanted his beater back so I had to buy my first guitar.

I hated that Ibanez “Strat” so vowed not to buy one. I tried a Tele but it brought flashback of the Ibanez. I tried the LP but it was like carrying a baby. Great sound, too much weight. I tried the Gibson SG and that was it. Light in weight and a dark tone. I sold my old bass/case and got the guitar and case for $750 or so. Nearly 2 years later it's my sole guitar.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2