Notifications
Clear all

Your First Guitar

22 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Oh, this brings up memories. I borrowed my cousin's Ibanez Strat-Want-To-Be. It was a $150 guitar and I hated that thing. Certain notes on the neck would not ring out. Dead spots. I must say it was good in that I dropped the think a few times and that maple really holds up well. After 7 months my cousin wanted his beater back so I had to buy my first guitar.

I hated that Ibanez “Strat” so vowed not to buy one. I tried a Tele but it brought flashback of the Ibanez. I tried the LP but it was like carrying a baby. Great sound, too much weight. I tried the Gibson SG and that was it. Light in weight and a dark tone. I sold my old bass/case and got the guitar and case for $750 or so. Nearly 2 years later it's my sole guitar.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@crossfire)

My first guitar was my dad's old 1962 Fender Musicmaster. It had scratches and cuts that were at least 1/2" deep, but I loved playing it and I still play it sometimes.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

My first guitar was a Fender Jaguar copy made by Harmony. My Step Dad pulled it out of a junk pile. It had no strings, no machine heads and the electronics needed rewiring. He figured I could do something with it. I have to thank him for that. Within a week I had saved up enough allowance (mowing lawns and the like) to buy new machine heads and a set of strings. I had my first experience with electronics and guitar repair along with my first few strummed chords all on that guitar. Don't know where it is now. Too bad it was missing a bigsby style tremolo and bridge plate cover.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@orlie)

In about 1959, I found an old Gibson flat-top in a second-hand store for $35. I have since learned that the guitar was made in the thirties. Not realizing what I had, I did not take good care of it, and eventually gave it away. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

My first was an old 60's something harmony electric from my grandpa. The man had close to 20 guitars and I couldn't understand for the life of me why someone needed that many (I now own 12 myself) and I constantly begged him for one. He gave in and gave it to me for my 9th birthday. I played that thing for years, until I got into playing bass. I had it up untill about 6 years ago. Unfortunatley my wife decided she didn't like it and put the poor thing out of it's misery, along with about 5 other guitars that I owned at the time. (Needless to say, she's not with me anymore, but the guitars are) I do wish I still had that thing. It was a b*tch to play, but I loved it anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@veekachu)

My 'first' first guitar was some acoustic 'student' thingy I got for Xmas in '68 or so, played with three times and cast aside. For all I know it's still in that closet on Locust Terrace in West Hempstead.

My second 'first' guitar was an el-cheapo Hondo strat-style thing, RH which was then strung upside down (I am a lefty), but no attempt to properly "set-up" was ever made, and again it never saw much play. It wa purchased on a whim when I accompanied my band mates to Guitar Center.

My third 'first' guitar was another Hondo, a LP copy with a really pretty sunburst finish, but it was actually lefty. I played three chords on 4-5 songs with my band. Paid 199$ in '81...

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

My first guitar was a Suzuki acoustic that I bought during my senior year of college way back in '79. I remember it cost me $100. At that time I was wanting to learn how to play, and some musician friends in my fraternity took me to a music shop and recommended it.

The guitar sat in my attic for about 24 of the 25 years since I bought it. I pullled it down from there this past April when I decided this time I was really going to learn. I am still using it, after having taken it in to the shop for some adjustments. It still has a decent sound and plays fairly well considering its history.

I have since bought an electric and spend about equal time with both. I plan within the next 3-6 months to buy an electro-acoustic, but I think I will still keep the Suzuki for taking out camping and the like.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2