Notifications
Clear all

Your Gear...

1,112 Posts
284 Users
0 Likes
130.8 K Views
(@moebags)

I have a Seagull M6 Gloss and an old S6, too. I also play an Art & Lutherie 12-string and a Godin electric.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey moebags! Another Godin fan, eh? Canadian guitars(Laravee, Godin, etc.) are IMO the best value out there, besides MIJ guitars, but they're getting up on the price :? , so that sucks.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

BTW how's that 12 string Art & Luthrie?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@moebags)

Ah, it's beautiful and plays like a dream. It sounded as good as any 12-string they had in the shop and some of them went up to 1500 bucks.

I really had no idea how big Godin was until I joined this board. It's great to see a player from Texas who's a fan. I always just assumed that they were a Canadian company with a few little factories in Quebec. I live about two hours away from the Seagull factory... It's a shame they don't do tours.

Take it easy.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I have a seagull s-6+ cedar GT, a cheaper yamaha accoustic, that gets banged alot in front of the computer, and a Raimundo 118 classical.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, everybody around here knows that Godin is a great company, its just such a great value! My only regret is that I got a laminite back and sides model, not a solid one. It just got setup and it plays even better now! I reccomend a seagull, or any othe Godin guitar, to anybody. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

yoyo 286
You should play one of the artist series seagulls, with the solid backs, they are amazing.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I think I'm gonna buy a MIM strat or something, a decent low watt tube amp, and then a little 99 buck recorder. And then probably a 12-string acoustic. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Solid back and sides are way over hyped. For the average player it makes almost no difference.

Here is my revised list of where good quality tone comes from:

the top - 30 %
fresh strings - 10%
good quality saddle and nut - 5 %
having a good setup done at least once - 5%
knowing what to do with your fingers, (aka practice) - 50%

The rest of the tone quality is in the fossilized walrus ivory string pins, having a rosewood fretboard instead of micarta, having a solid back and sides vs laminate and having waverly tuners instead of grover.

I have some really nice guitars, but I have no delusions about them making me sound better. I buy them because I lust after them. I covet nice guitars. I still practice an hour a day.

I think it's human nature to want to tweak things, you see it in the golf world all the time. "Yeah, but this driver has an oscillating radioactive isotope and imparts a radioactive tracer onto the ball so you can find it with the built in grip geiger counter when it gets lost in the woods."

Sometimes you just want to say, "Hey, just hit the freakin' ball"

So here it is: "Hey, just play the guitar." As long as it has a back and sides you should be good.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Fossilised walrus, huh? that's obviously where I've been going wrong.

ok, from the bottom up.....

No name Stratalike, 1970-something in need of a good overhaul.

B&M Classical - again, 1970-something

Eko Ranger 12-string accoustic (1977) - just coming back from the shop with new machine heads.

Phaser stompbox - no obvious brand name

Phoenix 120-watt amp. My son uses this for his bass cos it handles bass better than 6-string

Washburn D10S - I need to get this dated

Martin Backpacker - bought from our very own Nick Torres

Shaftesbury Les Paul custom copy - 1978

Danelectro Black Licorice distortion stompbox - mental

Marshall MG30DFX amp - plenty loud enough to wake the neighbours

and my main stage guitar is....

Alhambra 4P classical - cedar top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard - bought in 2000. Sounds soooooooooo good.

The wishlist?

There's a nice Fender Tele down the local shop - ash body, clear lacquer finish. Only £449.

Admira Theresa classical - £500 of chicken soup for the soul. I could easily make up a reason to justify buying one of these.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Here's a list of my limited equipment:

Epiphone SG copy
MIM Fender Strat
Jackson DK-2 Dinky

Johnson J-Station Amp modeller

Boss DS-1 distortion pedal

Fender 15 W practice amp

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I just posted my list under guitar thief strikes twice.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I just posted my list under guitar thief strikes twice.

Exactly.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

My current setup...

'04 Gibson Les Paul Custom 'Silverburst'
89ish Charvel/Jackson soloist
Segull 12 string accoustic

Pod 2.0

Marshall 25watt head through a Crate bass amp (from a friend who quit). The Marshall speakers quit, only the head remains, ran out of room for another amp. Plan to upgrade soon.

Boss Flanger (not used, see Pod 2.0)
Boss Chorus (not used, see Pod 2.0)

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I think it's human nature to want to tweak things

I resemble this remark. :D

Although, it's been nearly 3 weeks, and I still haven't done anything to my new Strat besides put different strings on it.

Give me time.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 75