1,112 Posts
284 Users
0 Likes
130.8 K Views
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

That SG copy is beautiful. Very Very beautiful

Jack

Thanks Jack, or thanks tokai? I love it except it does not have the slim taper neck like I prefer on my 70's gibby special. It sounds great and the pickups are better than a US SG std that I played for awhile.

Peace,
Jick

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

DAng i done forgot my 2nd fave, a Tokai SG copy better than any gibby I've owned[/img]

No surprise there.

So true when talking about modern gibbys but my 70's special (my fave, notice I said 2nd on the Tokai?) blows this guitar from the water. Slim taper neck and those mini HBs, mmmmm.

Glad you guys like the pics, I'm looking to add more :D , esp my eastwood gtrs which are waaaay better than the originals they portend to copy.

Peace,
Jicky

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First off, my very first electric guitar a 1960 Hofner V2

Then, there's my Burn's Marquee:

and the Big Blonde (not a very good pic) ............

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Jick- I'm looking at getting a Tokai USG75, i take it you reccomend them? Just seems that they are cheap for such a nice looking instrument.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

Jick- I'm looking at getting a Tokai USG75, i take it you reccomend them? Just seems that they are cheap for such a nice looking instrument.

Jack

I don't know that much about the Tokais, the guy I bought this from said it was made in Korea and I have no idea what year. There are no identifying numbers or anything to check against. I'm thinking they started in Japan in the seventies or earlier and just made copies (the "lawsuit" copies but maybe that was just ibanez). I got it with a used fitted anvil flight case :D for $300 in a music store in phoenix. Same place I got my DeArmond Jetstar for $200 with OHSC! I better go to phoenix more often! :D

I guess the only advice i can give based on experience is if you can't play it before you buy it then make sure you can return it if you don't like it. Is it a new Tokai? I really don't know squat about em but I assume you've checked reviews and stuff. If it's what you want, go for it! I was looking for a Tokai "Love Rock" which is basically a Tokai Les Paul but I saw this on the wall. I mean maybe Gibsons have upped the quality on their new guitars but my 2001-ish LP needed a ton of work before it was even playable. This SG, which was sold as used, still had the plastic on the pickguard and it was playable immediately (albeit through a cyber-twin, which nearly caused me to leap in front of a bus it was so horrible :lol:). I changed the spring in the trem and had a bone nut put in but all in all I probably paid a quarter or less what I would have if I bought the equivalent Gibson, even if I keep the $150 case out of the equation.

I'll check out the model number but hey I bet it's as good a a gibson from the factory.

Peace,
Jick

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the help, i can't play it as i can only find them online. But its only £200 so its worth a shot.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I haven't tried one of the newer Tokais but a friend has a Tokai Loves Rock (LP clone) from the 70's and it's a fabulous guitar. From what I understand the current lower priced models are made in Korea (like most Epiphones) and the higher priced ones are still made in Japan. I'm not sure where the cutoff is on what models are made where. There are a number of other Japanese guitar manufacturers too that make very good to excellent quality guitars at a good price - Burny (Fernandes), Edwards/Navigator (ESP), Greco, Orville (actually Gibson), etc.

There is a discussion board out there for Japanese guitars called Japan Axe. You might want to look there for more information on Tokais.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Glad you guys like the pics, I'm looking to add more :D , esp my eastwood gtrs which are waaaay better than the originals they portend to copy.

Peace,
Jicky

Post 'em please. :wink:
Eastwood HQ is 40 minutes fom my home and I've got a little money coming in soon; you'd be helping to alleviate some GAS!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Peace,
Jicky

Post 'em please. :wink:
Eastwood HQ is 40 minutes fom my home and I've got a little money coming in soon; you'd be helping to alleviate some GAS!

An Airline might be a nice catch ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

I'm gunnin' for a supro big fat neck and all...

Peace,
Jick

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm gunnin' for a supro big fat neck and all...

Peace,
Jick

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

Who posted they had a Hagstrom Swede? I'd like a short review and a pic!

:D

Peace,
Jick

PS gnease I found a supro hardtail but it's between me and another guy but I think he's willing to spend more than me... :(

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

IIRC, it's a SUPER Swede. :wink:

Good luck on the Supro.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Who posted they had a Hagstrom Swede? I'd like a short review and a pic!

:D

Peace,
Jick

PS gnease I found a supro hardtail but it's between me and another guy but I think he's willing to spend more than me... :(

I have a super Swede, just got it Friday. (I posted I had one before, they were out when I bought it and when mine didn't come in when it was supposed to they upgraded me to a Super Swede). There are pics in my other thread on this forum...

Review:

First off, I love the Hagstrom neck. I believe all of their guitars have the same neck. It's this strange patented composite wood that increases sustain I guess (it does have amazing sustain, even at low volumes) but I love that it's really thin. The fretboard is wide, the the neck is not thick at all. It makes fretting really really fast.

The finish is beautiful.

It's a very heavy guitar with great tone. The pickups are Hagstrom made and are HOT. In addition, the Super Swede has a coil tap that the Swede doesn't. I haven't really had time to explore the tones too much yet but the single coil sound it pretty strat like. It might be one of the more versatile guitars I've come across.

I'd say that it is just as good, if not better, than Gibsons that cost 4x as much.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

First off, I love the Hagstrom neck. I believe all of their guitars have the same neck. It's this strange patented composite wood that increases sustain I guess (it does have amazing sustain, even at low volumes) but I love that it's really thin. The fretboard is wide, the the neck is not thick at all. It makes fretting really really fast.

The finish is beautiful.

I'd say that it is just as good, if not better, than Gibsons that cost 4x as much.

Very nice and sounds like my dream neck. My SG Special has a neck so small and skinny that it goes out of tune if I rest my thumb over the top, which is not unusual for me (the thumb, not the detuning :) ) But I do love the guitar nonetheless. I wish I could get a LP sound w/o the baseball bat neck on my LP. Sounds like this might be right up my alley. Does the coil tap allow this to get somewhat sparkly?

Do you mind me asking where you bought/ordered it?

Looks like a very sweet guitar. I go hot and cold on heavy vs light guitars, my Reverend probably weighs 7 lbs if that but my heaviest is the Italia Modena which is probably closer to 15 lbs.

Thanks for posting the Swede!

Peace,
Jick

PS sorry if there are any "P"s missing. My P key has been acting weird since I blew out the keyboard with compressed air.

ReplyQuote
Page 52 / 75