Your Gear...

1,112 Posts
284 Users
0 Likes
130.8 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Staffan! I have a D-15, too. Great guitar and awesome tone. But, to me, the best of that guitar is how it smell!

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

every strap pin on every acoustic i've played has been plastic afaik, or possibly wood on some handmade models. electrics have metal ones

On my Furch Acoustic there´s a metal strap pin, so I guess I was comparing to that one in particular. Doesn´t matter though - I´ll buy a metal one and put on this one for sure.

/Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Congrats Staffan! I have a D-15, too. Great guitar and awesome tone. But, to me, the best of that guitar is how it smell!

:mrgreen: Yeah, I see what you mean by the way it smells, it´s special!

Well, here are some pictures... they´re not very good (at all). Sorry for the bad quality and poor aestethics of the photos 8)

/Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Oops... I thought there were actually two different threads on the Gear-subject, but there wasn´t (obviously) - so I´m erasing this post. Sorry bout that! :oops: /Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

On my Furch Acoustic there´s a metal strap pin, so I guess I was comparing to that one in particular. Doesn´t matter though - I´ll buy a metal one and put on this one for sure.

/Staffan

those are pretty high end guitars, aren't they? i see one for sale for about $3400. what's the advantage of a metal pin?

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

/Staffan

those are pretty high end guitars, aren't they? i see one for sale for about $3400. what's the advantage of a metal pin?

I believe Furch produces a wide price range of acoustics. Mine wasn´t on the high end, it cost about $700 when I bought it new, two years ago. But I really love that guitar - it sounds really great and plays really well too! At the moment, I actually like the Furch more than the Martin, but I´m hoping I´ll warm up to the Martin as I get more comfortable playing it. But sound-wise - there really isn´t that much of a difference between the two, I think... Maybe my ears aren´t as developed as they should be to detect the subtle nuances :)

Seriously though - I like both guitars but I can´t say that I think the price difference is all justified. I think when it comes to Martin, maybe you´re paying for the brand to some extent as well. And when I look at Furch guitars, the price development on those have been pretty steep as they have gained in popularity over the last five years (the model I owned went up from $642 to $928 over 2,5 years!)

Well, Jason, about the strap button - I don´t even know if there´s any real difference perfomance wise, but I imagine that the metal ones might be a bit sturdier and perhaps more reliable when gigging - but maybe I´m wrong. But I definitely like the look of the metal ones better anyway. But this is just IMO of course.

/Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Nice guitar Staffan!

I noticed them at the Martin delaers' with the plastic strap button in a bag, for self-installation - I did the exact same thing thing not too long ago with a Cort that had an open hole.

The reason was to allow installation of a pickup with an endpin jack. I bought the Dean Markley pickup to take advantage of the opportunity, thought twice - saved the pickup kit for a Seagull, and put the plastic button into the open hole with wood glue. Not that it matters, but the hole was not quite big enough for the jack and a little too big for the plastic button!

So the plastic button would have fallen out. I wrapped a little paper around & glued it on, 24 hours ahead of putting it in.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Nice guitar Staffan!

.../ I did the exact same thing thing not too long ago with a Cort that had an open hole./... The reason was to allow installation of a pickup with an endpin jack/...

Thank you, Blue Jay - and thanks also for clearing this out with the un-mounted strap button! I should have guessed it myself but there you go. And the rest of your story was interesting as well... I´ll definitely think about what I want to do with this one. Matter of fact, I´m taking it into the shop today, to lower the strings a tiny bit, and at the same time put on lighter strings as well. I´ll have a chat with their guitar-techie and see what he can recommend.

BTW, this guitar is really growing on me - the sound is friggin' awesome - really full and clear but a bit on the "dark side" :twisted: And the guitar weighs practically nothing, so it handles very easily. Like :mrgreen:

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I just had this guy (American Special Telecaster) brought in from the US. Expect to see more of my blabberings around the forum :)

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Looks nice, Oktay! Congratulations on your new toy :wink:

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

So soon after I ended up getting yet another guitar while in Seoul for business. It's a G&L Tribute S500. I love it. :) Photos later.

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Get it for yourself - just to make sure :mrgreen:

My newest catch, a Gibson SG Special, worn brown finish. Someone might recall I posted pics of a black SG Special a while ago - but I sold that one cuz I don´t really care for that type of finish - get´s kinda sticky me thinks.

Besides the finish, it´s the same guitar; 490R & 490T pups and nothing fancy like bindings or anything - just a raw, hard rock axe that´s really fun and fast to play - I really enjoy it anyway! I think I´m going to put in ´57 Classics pups later on, maybe this spring when I might have some cash. But the sound it produces now is really nice aswell so I´m a happy puppy right now :D

Here are some pictures (if I remember how to link these images...)

Cheers,
/Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sweeeet!
If I ever get a Gibson, it will be a SG...or maybe a Less Paul Jr. :note2: :note1:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Someone might recall I posted pics of a black SG Special a while ago - but I sold that one cuz I don´t really care for that type of finish - get´s kinda sticky me thinks.

That I believe would be the nitro cellulose finish. I kind of don't like that about my "real" Les Pauls. I played a Les Paul Studio with the same "faded" finish as your SG. Almost bought it too. Bought my Peavey Classic 30 instead on that shopping trip. The neck almost has a bare feel. I like it alot but not gonna trade the ones I have.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

That I believe would be the nitro cellulose finish. I kind of don't like that about my "real" Les Pauls. I played a Les Paul Studio with the same "faded" finish as your SG. Almost bought it too. Bought my Peavey Classic 30 instead on that shopping trip. The neck almost has a bare feel. I like it alot but not gonna trade the ones I have.

Yep, it´s the "nitro cellulose finish" allright! Feels "sticky" - not my favourite finish! But obviously some people like it or I guess Gibson wouldn´t use it... But yeah, I agree with you, TR, the "bare" wood feel with, say, a mahogany neck is really comfortable and it has great "flow"!

I played this little sucker all day saturday and most of sunday and - I´m in love with this guitar :P . I own a Les Paul, and I really like that one too - but in comparison the SG has a thinner neck (which I like) and to me that equals "faster", has unlimited reach for the higher frets and the guitar is really light (weight-wise), which I also think is a plus.

As for bang-for-the-buck-value; this one beats my Les Paul which cost pretty much twice as much. (Btw the SG sold for 777 euros) . The only thing that could improve is the "clean sound" from the 490 pups - not as warm and clear as the Burstbuckers on my Paul. But, I am planning on putting on a 498T in the bridge position OR replace both pups with the ´57 Classics. Let´s see.

Has anyone here any exprience from the Gibson ´57 Classics? Would you recommend them to someone who will mainly play hard rock-songs (think KISS, AC/DC) but with the occasional Blues thrown in? And what about those P90s? They´re supposed to have real bite as I understand it, and are available in "humbucker-design" to fit in an SG (or Paul) - would they perhaps be a good choice for the neck-pos.? Hmm it´s a pick-up-jungle out there... :roll:

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
Page 68 / 75