Clear all

Your Gear...

1,112 Posts
284 Users
0 Likes
130.7 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There are a lot of pickup options, including staying put. Some companies make a Humbucker-sized P-90. At least a couple of us here use and like some GFS pickups from Guitar Fetish.

Seymour Duncan has a combo that I think is humbucker sized. It's got a split rail on one side and a P-90 on the other. Certain wiring strategies will allow for a split to single coil of the split Rail too, from what I remember reading. I've not tried these nor have I heard them, so can't give you first hand account.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the input Roy!

Yeah, the one P90-substitute I was looking at was called "P94" (by Gibson). The retailer claims it to be "exactly the same as the P90, but in a humbucker case"...

Of course I´ll listen to the different pickups, before I decide which ones to get. I´ve got time - I wont change them until next year :wink:. Seriously, the 490s are allright and they will work just fine, but I figure this is going to be my go-to guitar from now on (because it feels and plays so darn nice), so at some point I think I´ll want to upgrade the sound just a little bit to make it more all-round.

We´ll see.

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Oh yeah - forgot to mention one other thing I like about the SG - the SUSTAIN! Man-o-man, it sings forever and the wooden body vibrates through-and-through :D

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@rushian62)

I have an Ibanez ST1 white Iceman guitar with Dimarzio Evolution pups
I had a Line 6 Spider 3 75 watt combo, but sold it for a
Hughes & Kettner 50 watt all tube Switchblade combo (the things' a monster and loud!) In some ways I miss the Line 6.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Equipment: Amps

Fender Super Reverb Amp (US 1966) 4x10 all-tube 40W combo amp, blackface, modded into 2 2x10 cabs

Sovtek MiG50H "Tube Midget" (Russia c. 2000) 50W all-tube amplifier head (played with 1x15 Kustom cab or either of the 4x12 or 2x12 cabs below)

Sunn 200S (US 1960's) 60W all-tube amplifier head, built as a bass amp but doubles as a guitar amp (played with any of the cabs below)

Risson 4x12 slant front cab with Celestion-made Risson speakers (US, 1980's)

DIY 2x12 cab Speaker cabinet made from a gutted Crate combo amp, containing two British-made V12 Celestion 60W speakers

Cigarbox Half-Watt amp Half-Watt solid state guitar practice amp that can run from a 9-volt battery or regular household current

DIY 2x8 cab Speaker cabinet made from a gutted Fender combo amp, containing two stock 8" Fender speakers

Kustom 100 (US 1960's) matching 100 W solid state head and ported cab (1x15) in tuck-and-roll aqua (Kustom's color name: "cascade") metal flake

Ampeg SVT bass cab (US 1970's?) 8x10

Crate BX-200 bass head (US 1995) 200W solid state

Woodson 250 (US 1970's?) matching bass head and 1x15 cab, 250W(?)

Fender Super Champ XD (CHI 2008?)15W tube combo amp with 10" speaker with 16 pre-amp voices and 16 onboard effects settings, 2 channels, switchable with footswitch (used for non-Crash Pad shows and low-volume practices)

Equipment: Electric Guitars

Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cutaway (US 1997) Les Paul double cutaway setneck guitar with mahogany chambered body and arch maple top, master volume and tone controls, 3-way selector switch, Gibson 490R and 498T humbucker pickups, in cherry sunburst, named "Cherie"

Hamer P-90 Special (US 1998) Double cutaway setneck guitar based on the Les Paul Special, with two Seymour Duncan P-90 pickups, separate volume and master tone controls, heritage cherry, 3-way selector switch, named "Chrissie" (reference is to the Pretender's "Brass In Pocket:" "I'm Special...")

Gibson Les Paul Classic (US 1999), single cutaway setneck guitar with mahogany body and arch maple top, honeyburst with creme pickguard, Seymour Duncan Custom V bridge pickup and Gibson 496R neck pickup, separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, 3-way selector switch, named "Cassandra"

Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster Reissue (US 1987), butterscotch blonde w/black pickguard, 2 single-coil pickups, three-way switching with original 1952 funky wiring scheme, "ashtray" bridge pickup with pickup cover, master tone and volume controls, named "Blondie"

Rickenbacker 620 (US 1991) Maple solid body with two Rickenbacker High-Gain single coil pickups, with separate tone and volume controls for each. Red with black binding, mono and stereo outputs. Formerly owned by local legends Rob Dark and Eddie Ray Chulo, named "Rickie"

Fender Tex-Mex Tele Special (MX 1997), brown sunburst, 1 Tex-Mex humbucker (neck), 1 Tex-Mex Telecaster single-coil (bridge), 5-way Strat-style pickup switching, master tone and volume controls, named "Brownie"

Ovation Breadwinner (solidbody elec., US ~1973), sky blue bakelite w/med. blue pickguard, 2 single coil pickups, active electronics, phase switching, master tone and volume controls, named "Ol' Blue" ("A Christmas Story" reference)

DeArmond Jet Star (KOR 2000, US Gold Tone pickups), 2 humbucking pickups, separate tone and volume controls, 3-way selector switch, imported by Fender-Guild, crimson transparent, mahogany body and neck, set bound neck, body style is the old Guild Thunderbird, named "Ruby"

Fender Duo-Sonic (US 1960), natural wood (refinished), 2 single-coil pickups, master tone and volume controls, 3/4 scale neck, named "Sonia"

Fender Squier Precision Bass (JPN c.1983), aged arctic white (with pale yellow patina) w/white pickguard, single split humbucker pickup with volume and tone controls, named "Seven" (for Camp 7 sticker still on the back)

Fender Standard Jazz Bass (MX c.1993), Chrome red w/black pickguard, dual single-soil pickups with master tone and two volume controls, named "Nell"

Saga/Unknown Telecaster (1990's), Gloss black with pearlescent white pickguard, basswood body ("relic'd" by previous owner with bare wood showing) and one-piece maple neck, stock single coil in bridge, Seymour Duncan mini-humbucker in neck pickup, 3-way switching, master tone and volume controls, named "Violet" (tuners originally had a brushed chrome violet tint, most of which has been scratched off)

Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe (CHI 2003?) Mahogany body, Canadian maple arch top, set bound neck, Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB pickups, master tone and volume controls, 3-way switching, coil tap, honey burst, named "Raquel"

Peavey T-60 (US 1981) Ebony northern ash body with two-piece bolt-on maple neck, 2 "toaster" style humbuckers with coil-splitting to single coils, individual volume and tone controls, 3-way switching, out-of-phase switch, named "Theresa"

Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet G5255 (CHI 2005) Mahogany cherry-finished body with set mahogany neck, 2 single-coil US-made DeArmond 2000 pikcups, master volume and tone controls and 3-way pickup selector, named "Joan"

Peavey Predator (US 1990's) Stratocaster-style guitar with poplar body and maple neck, three single-coil ceramic pickups, 5-way switching, named "Candy"

Schecter Tempest Special (KOR c. 2005) Setneck mahogany guitar with 2 P-90's based on Les Paul Special, named "Stormy"

Brownsville Choirboy (KOR c. early 2000's) Semi-hollow singlecut guitar with 3 single coil alnico pickups, 5-way switching, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, named "Corinne"

Epiphone WildKat Limited Edition Custom Shop (KOR 2005) White blonde limited run color, semi-hollow mahogany back with maple cap, 2 P-90's, Bigsby, Gretsch-style 4-pot arrangement with master tone, individual volumes, and master volume, 3-way switch. Named "Goldie"

Danelectro Hodad (KOR 1990) Deep Blue sparkle, semi-hollow masonite construction with wood center block, Bigsby-style tremelo, 2 lipstick pickups wired as humbuckers, separate tone and vonlume controls, pull-up coil-split, pull-up out-of phase. Named "Dani"

Peavey Fury Bass (USA 1984) Single super-ferrite pickup bass with single tone and volume control, maple neck and fretboard. Named "Farrah"

Daisy Rock Retro-H 12-string (IND 2005?) Semi-hollow doublecut guitar with 2 Brownsville alnico single-coil "toaster" pickups, 3-way switching, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, named "Daisy"

Epiphone Thunderbird Bass (KOR 2006) Mahogany bass with two humbucking pickups, bolt-on neck with rosewood fretboard, 2 volume and one tone control, named "Birdie"

Peavey T-40 Bass (USA 1979) Northern Ash bass with two coil-splittable humbuckers, bolt-on neck with maple fretboard, two volume and two tone controls, out-of-phase switch, named "Natalie"

There are some acoustics too, but I don't have a list handy.

Equipment: Guitar Effects

DOD FX55C Supra Distortion Pedal

DOD Overdrive-Preamp 250 Pedal

Cry-Baby Wah Pedal

Boss Compression-Sustainer CS-2 Pedal

Ibanez Soundtank "60's Fuzz" Pedal

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Ibanez TS-5 Tube Screamer overdrive, modded to TS-9

Digitek Bad Monkey overdrive

Here's the electrics:

Here's most of the acoustics:

The mandolin in the above pic is my dad's and has since been returned to him. I now have a sunburst Fender acoustic-electric. I've also got a black Esteban :roll: acoustic-electric guitar I picked up for a Benjamin when I had a church audition but nothing to play for it.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice collection! You have a bigger dose of the illness than I do! :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Nice collection! You have a bigger dose of the illness than I do! :shock:

Thanks. It kinda added up over the years. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice and enviable collection, indeed.

TR, did you notice the Honeyburst? That's three of us, at least, but mine is a humble epi. :lol: :lol: I am albout to mod mine though, but everso slightly. I'm getting knobs with white numbers that my sorry, old eyes can see after the sun goes down. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

That I believe would be the nitro cellulose finish. I kind of don't like that about my "real" Les Pauls.

Yep, it´s the "nitro cellulose finish" allright! Feels "sticky" - not my favourite finish! But obviously some people like it or I guess Gibson wouldn´t use it...

If a nitro finish still feels sticky, it wasn't properly cured. I've had 3 Gibbies, only one felt sticky, primarily on the neck. Eventually the stickiness will go away as the guitar finish cures.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hey, Krash. Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Are you a retail outlet? :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Hey, Krash. Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Are you a retail outlet? :lol:

Haha, it kinda looks like it, doesn't it?

Actually, for the first time in forever, I recently sold a guitar, and I was not even looking to "flip" the proceeds into buying something else, gear-wise.

Big medical bills will do that. :(

If I didn't have health insurance, it'd all be gone!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Ulp, sorry to hear that. Hope you are doing well!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Ulp, sorry to hear that. Hope you are doing well!

Thanks! I just finished up 35 Mon-Fri doses of radiation and 9 once-weekly chemo infusions, for tonsil/throat cancer. I should be fine in awhile, but the radiation tore up my throat pretty bad, making eating/drinking very difficult, so to be safe I'm going in for hydration (a saline I.V.) daily until next Tuesday, to make sure I don't get dehydrated.

Once I can get over the treatments' side effects I'll be in the clear, haha.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Hang in there, it sounds like there's light at the end of the tunnel at least.

I can't compare with that collection, but I've realised I do owe some pics for advice given in the opinions thread last year, so here is my Pacifica 112 and a vox pathfinder 10:

The Pacifica came off eBay: I was geared up to get a new one, but spotted this at about a third of the price and put a bid on thinking I wouldn't get it. It was listed with a small dent on the back of one cutaway which explains the price:

Looks worse than it is in that picture, about 2mm / 1/12th inch deep and purely cosmetic. It was also advertised as having 'a setup any guitar tech would be proud of', to which I thought, yeah right'. It turns out they were. Overall lots of fun, the only downside is my acoustic goes largely unused now (particularly as it's currently stranded in N. Ireland courtesy of a smashed flight case).

Have just added a behringer TO800 (tubescreamer copy) to the line-up; the overdrive channel on the vox is okay, but only at volumes which are a bit extreme for a flat.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

You got a heck of a deal on a heck of an axe, in my opinion. And the cosmetic "ding" is a good thing- it got you a better price, and now it will help you focus on PLAYING the darn thing, not worrying about whether or not it gets scratched.

By the way, in your other thread you mentioned painting it- what are you talking about? Natural finishes are the BEST!

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
Page 69 / 75