Your Gear...

1,112 Posts
284 Users
0 Likes
130.8 K Views
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Big medical bills will do that. :(

If I didn't have health insurance, it'd all be gone!
Ulp, sorry to hear that. Hope you are doing well!

Thanks! I just finished up 35 Mon-Fri doses of radiation and 9 once-weekly chemo infusions, for tonsil/throat cancer. I should be fine in awhile, but the radiation tore up my throat pretty bad, making eating/drinking very difficult, so to be safe I'm going in for hydration (a saline I.V.) daily until next Tuesday, to make sure I don't get dehydrated.

Once I can get over the treatments' side effects I'll be in the clear, haha.
Hang in there man! And take care of yourself. Sounds like you are doing that. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

That I believe would be the nitro cellulose finish. I kind of don't like that about my "real" Les Pauls.

Yep, it´s the "nitro cellulose finish" allright! Feels "sticky" - not my favourite finish! But obviously some people like it or I guess Gibson wouldn´t use it...

If a nitro finish still feels sticky, it wasn't properly cured. I've had 3 Gibbies, only one felt sticky, primarily on the neck. Eventually the stickiness will go away as the guitar finish cures.

Ok, that´s interesting - I didn´t know that. But shouldn´t the finish be "properly cured" before they sell the damn thing - or is it "normal" that you have to wait for it to cure?

Anyway - as I said - I sold the guitar and got the "worn brown" finish instead, which I love, so I´m happy!

By the way - What A Collection :shock: That´s some nice stuff! Glad to see that there´s always someone worse of (GAS-wise) than yourself. (Not sure if you can say the same though - that must be pretty hard to beat :mrgreen: ).

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

If a nitro finish still feels sticky, it wasn't properly cured. I've had 3 Gibbies, only one felt sticky, primarily on the neck. Eventually the stickiness will go away as the guitar finish cures.

Ok, that´s interesting - I didn´t know that. But shouldn´t the finish be "properly cured" before they sell the darn thing - or is it "normal" that you have to wait for it to cure?

No it's bad Quality Control for a guitar to get out of the factory with a sticky neck. QC should be setting those aside until they're no longer sticky. I'd note that of the 3 LP's I've had, the sticky neck'd one was bought brand new, the ones that had cured properly were both bought used.

By the way - What A Collection :shock: That´s some nice stuff! Glad to see that there´s always someone worse of (GAS-wise) than yourself. (Not sure if you can say the same though - that must be pretty hard to beat :mrgreen: ).

Thanks.

But as for others' collections, no, you'd be surprised. I have a friend from New Jersey who has over 100 guitars! And unlike mine, his are almost entirely really nice Gibsons, USA Fenders, PRS, etc. A lot of mine are very inexpensive guitars picked up on the cheap. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Wow. How come none of you big collectors live near me??? Cause I get a lot of crap for having "so many" guitars (usually 4-6, currently 3 and a project). I want to show some friends how the GAS is when it gets really extreme...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Wow. How come none of you big collectors live near me??? Cause I get a lot of crap for having "so many" guitars (usually 4-6, currently 3 and a project). I want to show some friends how the GAS is when it gets really extreme...

Best,
Ande

Just print out a copy of this thread!

:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey ... I just dropped by one ..... after going up 2 on Christmas. :oops: I did fight off the GAS though and buy a new amp. Well, still GAS if the "G" is gear instead of guitar. Dunno how many I have. A little over 20. Krashpad has me beat. I only got like 2 "real" Les Pauls and one quality Jackson. Everything else is asian. Well, the Jackson is MIJ ..... that would be asian too right? :lol: Oh ... MIM Strat too.

Here is an out of date pic. Some are gone ...... lots more have come

Gone ........
Delta King ... to my buddy Steve
Blue Switch .. to my son
Squire Telecaster ... traded honey Epi LP
Schecter Omen 6 ... traded Black Epi LP
SX Strat .. to my son

New ...
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Honey Epiphone Les Paul
Agile AL 2500 honey
Agile AL 3000 Cherry burst
Fernandez Monterey
Rogue resonator
SX Candy Apple Red Strat i rebuilt with premo parts
Epiphone Prophecy EM2
Switch Red Burst

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hey TR, one is missing. :shock:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Hey ... I just dropped by one ..... after going up 2 on Christmas. :oops: I did fight off the GAS though and buy a new amp. Well, still GAS if the "G" is gear instead of guitar. Dunno how many I have. A little over 20. Krashpad has me beat. I only got like 2 "real" Les Pauls and one quality Jackson. Everything else is asian. Well, the Jackson is MIJ ..... that would be asian too right? :lol: Oh ... MIM Strat too.

Actually, I also only have 2 Gibby Les Pauls, and like yours, most of the rest of mine are Asian. I also have a MIM Fender like you do (Tele Special), but also a few additional USA guitars. The additional USA's are a Fender '52 RI Tele, an Ovation Breadwinner, a Ric 620, a Hamer Special, and a bunch of old USA Peaveys (two guitars and two basses). The most I paid for any of these non-Gibby USA guitars was $450. I have a pretty good eye for deals, have a system for gear purchases, and more importantly than the rest of it put together, I'm fortunate enough to live in a college town with a great live music scene that results in a huge disproportion between musicians and normal people, thus resulting in a buyer's market for used gear.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh! The PottyCaster! I made a guitar out of a toilet seat.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

What kind of tone does that thing get? How's the action or is it mainly for slide.....

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds like crap? :lol: Nah ... it is a little thin sounding though. It's mostly a decoration now but it does setup and when I first built it it played just fine. The action is the same as on all my other guitars. 1/16" inch high E at the 18th fret. It intonates. It has a very cheap bridge from a synsonic guitar on it though so if I put a better one on it would play nicer and be easier to setup.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Great to have party fun with though, I bet!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My wife, Son and I started a rather long household project last autumn which ended with a nice, clean Art Studio for her, a very large bedroom for him and an office full of clutter for me. I've been working a bit here and there to declutter, organize and set up my office/studio. I got close enough earlier in the week that I just bit the bullet yesterday and finished this. It was worth the massive Migraine that ensued. So, without further adeau, my office/studio:

Enter!!!

Step on in and turn around to the right, my son's drum kit sets, ready for action. All's I have to do is plug the instrument cable into the keyboard/pa that is behind where I'm standing.

Continue going right to left, my guitar rack and my son's bass and bass amp. The bass rig is plugged in and ready to roll. All's I have to do is tune it. The Bass is a Squire Jazzbass. The amp is a small 15 watt Hartke. My bass playing friend plugs into this when he comes over. It does a nice job for the lowish volumes being played.
On the guitar rack is my Gretsch Electromatic 5120, Xaviere XV-870, Ibanez ART100 and a PRS SE Paul Allender.

To the left of that is the desk corner. I now keep just the guitar I'm playing beside me near the window. Right now it's the Epi LP Custom. My GT-10 Floor M-FX unit and auxillary switch is under the desk. It's connected two ways to my media PC on the right and now to a keyboard-amp/PA you'll see in a bit. It's hard to see, but my USB mic is on a stand hovering above my desk and in place just for the shot. I swing it around out of place when not using it. My regular mic is also in the shot. I can also plug my guitar directly into my Fender Super Champ XD on the left.

Here's a closer view to the desk with a chair with mic ready to go.

This shot is back towards the closet and includes my behringer Keyboard/PA that my GT-10 is now plugged in to. Should I ever develop a sense of rhythm, a set of bongos on an overkill stand is at the ready.

A couple shots of a little bonus room. First, my comfy chair where I've played a lot of guitar.

My dog, Pokie, is guarding my favorite amp, the Fender Blues Deluxe Re-Issue. It's shown here with my pedals. To the right is my other guitar rack with, right to left, ESP LTD M-252, Floyd Rose DS-1, Squire Affinity Tele, Ibanez GAX-70 and a Fender MIM Keefocaster.

And finally, the downstairs rig. an Epi Standard Plus-Top and a Jet City 20W combo (my small, subtle version of the "One Trick Pony", which is surprisingly versitle)

phew! That was long. Not shown yet is my acoustic guitar, which is in it's case in another room, and my Ukulele.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Roy, I'm turning on to your street now. Shouldn't text and drive...will be there shortly... :)
Looks amazing! Congrats.

Don

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Damn Roy I didn't know you had it that bad...Nice toys...Especially like the four legged one what kind of dog or is he just a mutt.

I guess I missed the Jet City purchase. I was looking at their 20w head which wasn't to bad a bit cheaper than the Windsor. How do you like it?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 70 / 75