Clear all

Your guitar binder - cheat sheets?

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been trying to build a list of songs with a cheat sheet for each song to remind me the basics of playing it. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I wanted to know if others have anything like this... and if possible are you willing to share some examples?

Here is kind of what I have thinking of including...

================
<SONG NAME>

<Chord Progression> (i.e., A-D-E)

<Strumming Pattern> (i.e, D D UDU )

<"Solo" Tab> (A few barres of tab for the basic sound of the song)
================

Obviously, this would require having some familiarity with the songs other than this information, and would require some improvisation as well. I am not looking to have enough info to do literal covers (or performances) of the songs... just enough to act as a reminder when playing around at jams or during practice sessions.

I am sure there is lots of other info that would be useful, like pedal and amp settings. Others?

Are there books/websites that are already like this? Is the what the "Fake" books are all about?

Your 2 cents? What do you use?

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't have a book, just a bunch of Power Tabs as well as regular tabs on my computer. I have a backup copy of course.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my band mate and I both have what we call lead sheets. they are chords and verses. that's it.
my buddy has three thick binders and I have one three ring binder and A file folder crammed with songs.
when we practice we have the lead sheet on a music stand. it helps a lot.
I would never use a music stand and lead sheet for a gig. however, when i played lap steel in a band a few years ago I did have a tiny slip of paper with the tuning and chord changes for the songs we did. they were the singers originals and his band. I was a hired hand.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I used to do ring binders with lead sheets until we went over 400 songs. The binders got too big, too heavy, and too hard to get to the next song.

I do lead sheets on a notebook computer (ThinkPad) using a very old copy of the notation program "Encore".

Sometimes I just write the words in WordPad and insert the chords in using red for the chords.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I have two three-ring binders and some folders of mostly lead sheets... just the verses and the chord changes in the appropriate places. Virtually all of the songs in the Easy Song Database here are constructed that way. Yes, it presupposes some familiarity with the song. After all, that's what fake sheets and fake books are.

Here's my copy of Help! - The Beatles

Help!- The Beatles

Bm Bm/A
Help! I need somebody
G G/f#
Help! Not just anybody
E
Help! You know I need someone,
A
Help!

A C#m F#m
When I was younger, so much younger than today,
D G A
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
C#m F#m
But now those days are gone I'm not so self-assured,
D G A
Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the door.

Bm Bm/A G G/f#
Help me if you can I'm feeling down, and I do appreciate you being 'round.
E A
Help me get my feet back on the ground, won't you please please help me.

C#m F#m
And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
D G A
My independence seemed to vanish in the haze.
C#m F#m
But every now and then I feel so insecure,
D G A
I know that I just need you like I've never done before.

Bm Bm/A G G/f#
E A

A C#m F#m
When I was younger, so much younger than today,
D G A
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
C#m F#m
But now those days are gone I'm not so self-assured,
D G A
Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the door.

Bm Bm/A G G/f#
E A F#m
A A6
Help me, help me, ooo.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have three ring binders of the tabs I have for the songs I have learned, but never had any lead sheets or anything.

When I was playing regularly every Friday I probably had about 30 memorized give or take but playing them regularly is the key to remembering them. Some are ingrained forever but some if I don't play regularly I'd have take a quick look at first.

Lyrics are kept in a seperate three ring binder and those where used most of the time by someone. I was only singing a couple songs so it wasn't to hard to remember the lyrics.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Everybody should have lead sheets/ cheat sheets/ whatever you want to call them. Anything that makes playing easier

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I use the Nashville Number system for my lead sheets. That way I can instantly play the song in whatever key the singer needs. It's also a great boon for those nights your voice is kinda shot, and you decide to drop things down a bit.

You want it in Ab? No problem! 1,2,3, 4, <twang>!

Here's a link 'splaining what it is . . .

http://www.kyleoneal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Intro-to-the-Nashville-Number-System.pdf

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i try to play stuff until it's memorized. if i'm reading something off a page, it doesn't have much life to it.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

For the most part I don't do covers, as I play in all-originals bands. However, being in 4 bands, none of which play very frequently, I do have a cheat book for each band. For the band I front, the lead sheets are really just lyrics, I don't need the chords in that band, but don't want to go up on my lyrics. In the other bands, it's the opposite, just chord progressions and no lyrics, just like in the OP. If possible, I try to contain a song on a single sheet of paper, and have the notebook so that it opens to 2 songs at a time, one on the left and one on the right. I put the songs in the order of the setlist, so that I only have to turn a page every 2 songs.

ReplyQuote