Clear all

your partner , how do they deal with you playing guitar

49 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
12.9 K Views
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

My ex would listen to me play accoustic as she drifted off to sleep. Usually some C minor or G major improv thing; a lullaby. Though, I have to say that she was more of a priority and I wasn't practicing as much as I was before we were together. But that was my choice, not hers. Basically, it never really got in the way of the relationship so she didn't have reason to complain. Overall, she was always supportive of me learning and liked to hear me sing to Zeppelin songs. I think the fact that she played clarinet in HS and Jr high, she knew what it was about.

I think your S.O. being supportive of your hobbies, whatever they may be, is important. If there is something that makes you happy, whoever you're with, if they really love you they won't get in the way of that happiness.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

My ex wife did not like me playing guitar at all, she would go in another room and ignore me all day, funny thing I always took her out to eat and stuff when I was not playing, She just tried hard to make me put my guitar away, well I guess you can see why she is my ex, I told myself if she won't support me on anything she must not realy care for me and I was right, came home to a empty house lucky for me my guitar cases have locks on them.

:?

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

...lucky for me my guitar cases have locks on them.

I've had nightmares about that happening.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

IMO explain to her that you like playing guitar and what her to enjoy it too. It's a piece of wood and metal that sound comes out off, therefor the guitar doesn't take the place of her, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy guitar too. If she can't accept that, odds are she's the "if i can't have you no one will" kind of broad and IMO you're better off without someone like that! :o Anyways, GL to you.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

IMO explain to her that you like playing guitar and what her to enjoy it too. It's a piece of wood and metal that sound comes out off, therefor the guitar doesn't take the place of her, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy guitar too. If she can't accept that, odds are she's the "if i can't have you no one will" kind of broad and IMO you're better off without someone like that! :o Anyways, GL to you.
ooOOOooo Ya ya... Tell her that the guitar is just the tool... but shes the inspiration.. humm ?? Have to use that one sometime even though mine is supportive. heh

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Since you are new to playing guitar you have to consider the possibility that it is not a very pleasant experience to hear you play. Beginning guitarists can be a bit irritating. You'll get better though.

I've been with some women that liked it and others that didn't. The ones that didn't were the jeolous/possessive types that always need to be the center of attention. It's best to just avoid those anyways. If it ain't the giutar it will be something else anyways. Also, playing the guitar can attract alot of attention from the opposite sex. That can really be a problem if you are with an insecure partner.

"I played the guitar long before I met you and I'll still be playing it long after I've forgotten you". Couldn't even tell you how many women I've said that to.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

He's not really my spouse, but my dad is kind of unsupportive of my guitarplaying. He thinks it takes away from my schoolwork, even though my grades haven't changed a bit and maybe have even improved. BTW welcome to guitarnoise, AaronJ! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

First wife hated me playing guitar....mind you her musical taste (?) was Barry Manilow and Neil Sedaka.....

Marilyn doesn't mind me playing guitar at all...or spending lots of money on it!!!! As long as I play "Three Steps to Heaven" or "Heartbeat" for her every now and then, she's happy....

And she actually likes my songs......so yeah, think I've got a good one!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

My wife bought me a classical guitar in Spain last year and suprised me with it. I have since started playing steel string and prefer the sound, not the torture on my finger tips though. She wonders why I don't pick up the classical as much, but she supports my attempts at playing. I have been hearing alot of, play the whole song, lately.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

This is a great topic!!!!!!!!!!!!

My girlfriend acts like she doesn't like my guitar playing, but I know she does. She even gave my guitars a name, because she says I cheat on her with my guitars. The important thing is making time her, also. She used to be in band for 6 years, so she helps me with my timing. Once she watched to the Crossroads dvd and Eric Clapton unplugged with me :wink: . She hates Muddy Waters because she thinks he stole all Robert Johnson's songs and moved up north, but thats another story. She wants me to learn Tears in Heaven, but it took me forever to learn Layla unplugged, I'm not messing with Clapton's music for a while.

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT YOU!!!
That's what my college professor told me. :)

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

My wife of 20 years is very supportive of my playing. I picked it up about 13 months ago; she calls it my mid-life crisis. Then again, she calls my new BMW convertible my mid-life crisis, too.

But she does like what I am doing. She sings in the Guitar Choir at church and later I joined as a guitar player after about 6 months. She likes to sing while I play, but alas, she doesn't have many of the melodies quite right. I told her she needs to listen to the CD's and get the melody so we can play and sing together. She does have anice voive when she knows the song.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

My wife of 20 years is very supportive of my playing. I picked it up about 13 months ago; she calls it my mid-life crisis. Then again, she calls my new BMW convertible my mid-life crisis, too.

She could be right mate! :lol: :lol:

I think most blokes get to a point where they want things they couldn't have/afford whilst rearing a family (or in the early stages of such). Nothing wrong with a MLC.

My wife's reaction to my playing when I started was to come and close the bedroom door. :?
Sometimes she would enter and I would play something and ask her if she knew what it was. She would generally answer saying she knew what it was................"It's $h!Te"

I actually started to become a little disheartened, until the day I was in my bedroom playing a song and my daughter walked through the door singing the song I was playing, and she was in time and singing the right lyrics for where i was and ALL!!!!! :D :D DADDY'S GIRL!!!!!

Well that was a couple of years ago, BUT, just recently while I was sitting on the bed playing she came in and layed down on the bed with a magazine, I asked her what she was doing, she said she wanted to listen to me play while she read. Now that gave me the warm and fuzzy!
I am even allowed to go and upgrade my guitar to a beautiful new Maton guitar. :D

I guess hairballxavier was on the money with the beginners can be irritating bit. Maybe practice in private for a while, then blow her away with a song you write for her. 8)

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I don't think there is such a thing as mid-life crisis. If so, I would hardly call the phenomenon a "crisis". I think it's just continuing your life as you would have wanted to live it had kids and work not taken priority. Now that you're free of certain commitments (kids or career advancement) you can just go back to living the way you want.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

I am into my second year of guitar, and the twelfth year with my wife. She too jokes that it must be part of a midlife crisis. But then I point out how most of my friends have recently gone out and bought very expensive motorcycles as part of there mid life crisis's. Then she always laughs and tells me what a good idea taking up the guitar was. I just wish I could get away with spending as much on new guitars as my buddies are spending on bikes.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I am into my second year of guitar, and the twelfth year with my wife. She too jokes that it must be part of a midlife crisis. But then I point out how most of my friends have recently gone out and bought very expensive motorcycles as part of there mid life crisis's. Then she always laughs and tells me what a good idea taking up the guitar was. I just wish I could get away with spending as much on new guitars as my buddies are spending on bikes.

I got the guitar and the motorcycle, crisis over! :lol:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4