Clear all

z-coil pickups?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the z-coil pickups on G&L guitars differ from single coil or humbuckers? Are they better overall? and are they exclusive to G&L?

http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

this is a bit of an educated guess, but I believe they are a hybrid of 'bucker and single coil designs. there are two coils, wired in series and out of phase, but with reversed magnets => in phase and similar to a 'bucker. the innovation is each coil is a small "half coil" covering only 3 strings. they must be staggered or "z-shaped" to separate the magnets enough at boundary of the D and G strings to avoid inadvertent cancellation of signal. since each string is covered only by a signal coil, the sound is signal coil -- narrow aperture and low inductance. since the coils are wired in reverse series, they buck hum. the danger in the design would be getting partial cancellation in the D and/or G which might sound strange ... or maybe really good.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member

I have seen pickups like that on bass guitars. Are z-coils new or just new for electric guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

G&L uses them on the Commanche line of guitars. But I've often wondered if the P-bass pup was (originally) designed in the same manner -- certainly its shape would facilitate this. The z-pup is a Leo Fender & Co innovation.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote