Notifications
Clear all

12-string Hohner got kicked!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@flatbackmando)
Topic starter  

I have "inherited" a 70's Hohner 12-string that has been horribly uncared for, and left tuned above concert so the action is really high. I've changed the broken machine heads and replaced the rusty strings and tuned it up to a tone below concert. Unfortunately at some time in its life it's taken a hard kick, cracking the top and pushing a dent into the back (see photos). The back dent doesn't worry me; however because the top bellies upwards quite a lot, the front crack exacerbates the 'belly' and opens up further.
I would like to mend this, but can't spend any money as really the guitar needs a whole neck reset but I just don't have the money.
I would appreciate some tips on how to approach this? The wood is badly cracked and there are splinters that open up when it's tuned up. Thin super-glue might be a way to go, but how do I make sure the crack is supported? I've seen linen bandage used on the inside of cracked guitars, but it's a long way down inside this one!
Many thanks.

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/flatbackmando/

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Kudos on your undertaking. Those cracks don't look too bad - but the photos aren't that illustrative and you mentioned several other issues. If I were you I'd gather up some good resource material at your local library and completely disassemble the guitar. It sounds complicated, and it is but having built several flat tops I can assure you the most difficult part is the wood working and that's already done. I.M. if you'd like some links and ISBN's I could also you source out the tools you might need (A lot of everyday items, nothing more then a few bucks at a yard sale) The biggest issue is determining what glues and finish materials were used so you can determine how to attack it - but that info is out there and there are several ways to determine it yourself. In reality a total rebuild might be the easiest and most complete method anyway. Worst case scenario you might need to replace the top which could cost you anywhere from $30-$100 or something else and secondly you could very easily become addicted.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Looks like you have a project ahead of you!! As was said... I think this is something you realy are going to have to do some major work to. I think you have quite a few things going on here, and just quick fixing one or two is not going to fix it. As was said...money is not huge... unless you need to have it done by someone... Are you handy? Good with woodworking? Is this a guitar you just want to bang around with for a wile, or are you planning on keeping it for the long haul? Are you fine with taking your time, and learning a new skill?? Wile investment in money will not be bad..... there will be a large iunvestment in time.

Paul B

ReplyQuote