Notifications
Clear all

13 gauge (jazz med.) on a PRS?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@borderblu)
Topic starter  

Would 13 gauge cause damage to a PRS SE Custom? If so, what kind of guitar could handle 13 gauge?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If it's an SE with the wrap-around bridge, I know from correspondence with the PRS company that it can only take 9 or 10 gauge strings. I don't know if it would cause damage, but your intonation will be way off.

An issue you'll have with most guitars is the nut slots needing to be resized for the bigger strings, probably once you go beyond 10s. But if you find you don't like the bigger strings, you'll need to replace the nut before going back.

Then there's the bridge, if the saddles are slotted, you'll need work on those too.

Not sure about possible neck damage on a guitar ... I wouldn't go beyond a manufacturer's recommendations.

Why 13s? Have you tried 11s, maybe 12s?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If it's an SE with the wrap-around bridge, I know from correspondence with the PRS company that it can only take 9 or 10 gauge strings. I don't know if it would cause damage, but your intonation will be way off.

changing from an unwound G (typical for 9s and 10s) to a wound G string (as for 13s) requires completely different bridge compensation to maintain intonation.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Oooh, yeah, I didn't even think about the wound G string on the heavier gauge sets. One more issue to consider!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@borderblu)
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the intonation has been off since I've had 12 gauge on my PRS, but I haven't tried to tinker much with it. I do a lot of bending, slapping and even with the 12 gauge on the PRS it feels loosey goosey to me, more so than 12 gauge on my acoustic. I guess because I started out playing acoustic 12 gauge I've always wanted to try 13 gauge.

ReplyQuote