Clear all

16th, 17th, 18th frets sound the same on 1st string of e gtr

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the weird topic but basically on the first string of my electric guitar, the 16th and 17th frets sound like the 18th fret when you put a regular amount of pressure on them. But sometimes the 16th fret will sound like the 17th fret and the 17th will sound normal. Every other fret on the first string and all the other strings sound fine.

I'm really hoping this isn't the kind of problem that doesn't require a $50 setup. My electric guitar isn't anything fancy, just a basic one that looks like this one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

First thing to check: Is the string hitting one of the pickup polepieces up on the high frets? If so, lower that pickup.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No, none of the strings are touching any part of either of the pickups, even when holding down the last fret of the 1st string.

ReplyQuote
(@rtb_chris)
Eminent Member

I would try raising the action on the first string a bit first (although, with that bridge, you'd be raising the entire treble side, but that's not a big deal). That USUALLY fixes the problem; if not, then it gets a little more complicated.

http://www.raisingthebarre.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In that case, it's probably either a slightly high fret or you will need to adjust the neck relief and/or action. A high fret should be taken to a tech for filing and recrowning. Relief and action adjustment involves checking the neck for excessive relief (forward bowing), straightening if necessary by adjusting the truss rod, then re-setting the action height. The last is easy on a Tune-O-Matic bridge such as your guitar has. However, checking relief and adjusting the truss rod is a be trickier. I'm sure someone will respond with a URL with instructions on this. But all that said, if your guitar is in warranty, I'd take it back for an adjustment.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. Turns out the action was a little low near the pickups. I noticed some screws on the metal bar closest to the pickups, turned it a little to raise the action and everything is fine :D

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks for the advice. Turns out the action was a little low near the pickups. I noticed some screws on the metal bar closest to the pickups, turned it a little to raise the action and everything is fine :D
Just checking here but I assume the metal bar you are referring to is the bridge which sits just behind the pickup furthest from the neck. I am also assuming you adjusted the screws on the top of the bridge not the little ones in the front of the bridge correct.

By the way, the 6 little screws in the front of the bridge adjust the intonation and the 2 on the top with the thumb wheels under the bridge adjust the height of the bridge.

It would be worth while checking the action (string height) so take a look at the setup page on my web page below for some basic checks and adjustments

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote