Notifications
Clear all

1975 Katrina Strat

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guitartech)
Topic starter  

This is a 1975 Fender Strat that had the misfortune of being in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The guitar was given to me after the strorm and was basically destroyed.

All the hardware except the pickguard and electronics were there but very rusted and water damaged. I decided to make it at least playable and in the end couldn't believe how well it played and sounded. i used a set of Suhr v60 pickups and all standard American Strat electronics.

I'm not a big fan of 3 bolt mid 70'S Strats but I had the pickguard and everything it would take to put it back together. Knowing I could never make this guitar look new, I went as far as I felt I should and ended up with one of the best sounding Strats I ever heard. Here is a link to a slide show. http://206.130.125.131/media/Katrina_Strat.html If it moves too fast you can hit the pause button and advance from there. Take Care, Chris.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

LOL @ "I dont know how many people have asked if I could duplicate the process to get this look."

Great job!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Excellent work Chris, and a real labor of love. It was quite a mess, or a challenge and it is really beautiful.

I work on Strats as well, as a hobby, so I followed you every step of the way, with interest. Had a 70's too.

I befriended a few people down in New O. after Katrina and am a little involved there, still with some, in my own way. :D

Oh BTW that reminds me of Walter Trout's main axe which he just loves. Maybe he'd buy it and go on TV with the story?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey Chris, how's that Strat doing? It's enjoying its new re-incarnation, I hope? VERY impressive. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@guitartech)
Topic starter  

I sold it to a guy who just had to have it. He made me an offer I couldn't turn down.Good sounding guitars seem to have a way of finding me one way or another. Thats alright, For what its worth I also make custom handmade guitars as well.

ReplyQuote