1977 w/ crack

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi:
I've been looking for a marting. I cam across a 1977 but it had a crack in the seem on top. The gentleman said it was prof repaired. What are some concernsand possible future damage potential? Thanks...

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

no one help me out?

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't think you are being ignored. It is just a difficult question to answer.

Could be that the repair will last a life time or fail tomorrow. If the crack is because it was accidentally dropped or hit then it is probably OK. If it was caused by abuse then there could be other underlying problems.

In other words there is no real way to predict it's future without seeing and holding it.

IMHO unless it was a very good deal and you know it's real history I would stay away from it.

If you really like it and it is a good deal see if you can take it to another unbiased technician for a once over.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Take a look at the crack, push gently on both sides. Does it creak? Does it move?

Get a mirror and take a look inside. Does it have a cleat?

You'll probably be fine.

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks, I appreciate your replies. I was getting ready to drive three hours to the store and wated to have some food for thought on what to look for...

ReplyQuote