Clear all

A different sort of buzzing

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@roverpig)
Topic starter  

Hi All,

First off, I'm pretty new to this game, only been playing a couple of months, so maybe what I'm reporting is normal. Still, here goes.

I've got a Squier Affinity Fat Strat, which I bought to learn how to play and to learn a bit more about how guitars work (i.e. to fiddle with). I've also got the "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine, which is a mine of information. However, I have a slight buzzing issue that bothers me. Basically, I need to fret the bottom two or three strings very hard and/or close to the fret or they buzz. As I say, this could be normal and just due to my poor technique, but it does seem that I'm having to press too hard.

The neck looks absolutely straight. In fact quality control on general seems pretty amazing for such a cheap guitar. I've put a tiny bit of relief into the neck (just see daylight in the middle if I fret at both ends), which helped a little compared with dead straight, which is how it was set up when I got it. Lowering the action is the most help. I've got it down to around 2/32 with no buzzing on open strings, which seems as good as I can get, but I still need to fret pretty hard to stop the low strings buzzing. Note that raising the action makes the problem much worse.

I think there are two options here:

1. I just need to learn to play (most likely)
2. The frets are too low/flat. They don't seem very heigh to me, despite being advertised as medium jumbo.

I'm also going to look more are the nut height, but that did look OK to me.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody had any experience of this or any thoughts.

Cheers,

Andy

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Basically, I need to fret the bottom two or three strings very hard and/or close to the fret or they buzz.

Lowering the action is the most help. I've got it down to around 2/32 with no buzzing on open strings, which seems as good as I can get, but I still need to fret pretty hard to stop the low strings buzzing. Note that raising the action makes the problem much worse.

Do they stop buzzing after you get up the neck? If this is the case, you may have a high fret.

If they buzz all the way up the neck, play a note, then press down on the saddle for that string. If the buzzing stops when you push down, then one of the saddle adjustment screws isn't making firm contact with the bridge plate, which allows that saddle to buzz against the bridge plate. Make sure both adjustment screws have good, firm contact.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@roverpig)
Topic starter  

As I said, I'm a beginner, anything above the 3rd fret is uncharted territory for me :D I guess there must be a reason why I've got more than 20 of the little brass buggers, but I'm blowed if I can see what it is.

Seriously, thanks for the pointers. I'll check those out. I reckon you could be on to something with the saddles. I'm sure that when I adjusted them one of the screws seemed tighter than the other but I just turned each the same amount (to keep things simple) so it could be that most of the pressure is one one screw for some of the saddles. Not sure why fretting the string harder would stop the buzzing, but maybe it just puts that bit extra tension on the string.

Cheers,

Andy

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Not sure why fretting the string harder would stop the buzzing, but maybe it just puts that bit extra tension on the string.

Cheers,

Andy

That's exactly why :) The extra tension puts more down pressure on the saddle, which holds it in place

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Another possibility is a badly cut saddle. If the saddle slot is either too wide or too flat and long (not a sharp edge) then it can let the string vibrate at the end rather than it remaining fixed. This can cause a buzz and/or a weird sort of "overtone" sound. You can diagnose this issue by touching the string behind the saddle after you strike the string and get the buzz. If you can feel the vibration in the string behind the saddle then there is a saddle problem. It would be best to let a tech look at it. You need some fine files (preferably with a rounded edge) to correct this.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@roverpig)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies. I checked (and corrected) the little allen grub screws on the saddles last night so the pressure is more evenly distributed and it certainly helped. I still get the odd buzz which is annoying as I'm taking my first faltering steps in finger picking (House of the Rising Sun from this site, I know it's a cliche, but it's a great song). I mangle enough notes as it is without the extra buzzy ones. However, if I'm really careful with my technique (no bad thing) I can stop it happening. One day I may try replacing the saddles/bridge/nut on this thing, if only for the practice. But for now I think I'll just work on trying to be a better player.

Cheers,

Andy

ReplyQuote