Clear all

A Truss Rod question

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have an ESP with a bolt on neck. You have to remove the neck in order to get to the truss rod adjustment screw. What is the best way to do adjustments?

Thanks

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You never need to remove a neck to adjust a truss rod - if you did, how could you know when the adjustment was right?

Anyway... have a look at the ESP Owners Manual - truss rod adjustment is on pages 5 and 6.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Never say never, Tom! This is from the manual:
Note: If your truss rod nut access is not visible, it is possible your instrument has it located inside of the neck pocket (Figure 6) – this will require the neck to be taken off of the body to adjust the truss rod.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You never need to remove a neck to adjust a truss rod
Sorry, but that's not correct. There are any number of guitars that require the neck to be removed (or, at least, loosened), to adjust the truss rod. The old Fenders are like that and my Burn's is the same.
Quote from Warmoth about their Vintage Fender Neck:
"Total Vintage Construction
For those desiring a close replica of the early vintage Fender necks, this is it. We have duplicated both the dimensions and construction methods used in the mid to late 50's.

TRUSS ROD DESIGN:

The truss rod in these vintage necks is the same as found in the vintage Fender necks, a single rod anchored at either end, curving over an arch within the neck. This design has functioned successfully in millions of necks though does usually require seasonal adjustment for optimum action. In the all maple necks you will find the expected skunk stripe. In necks with rosewood fingerboards the truss rod is installed under the fingerboard so there is no skunk stripe.

TRUSS ROD ADJUSTMENT:

The only truss rod access is through the heel of the neck. Yes, it's necessary to loosen the neck mounting screws to gain access to this adjustment."

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@bobthunder)

Well you didn't say which way it was bowed... but in any case. If It has a Floyd, you should block the trem with a piece of wood...or something that works. Unscrew the locking nuts and detune the guitar so the strings are good and loose. Unscrew the neck screws...probably 3/4 of the way out of the body...try and move the neck at that point. I don't know where the adjust ment screw is on the ESP stuff. If you can see the nut...make an adjustment, about a quarter of a turn at a time. The manual may tell you which way to turn it for the bow condition you have. If you can't see it then the screws have to come out all the way.
Then just screw it back together and tune it up. Take out the stop piece and check the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

really this should have a sticky.

"Noteboat in getting it wrong shocker!"

It must be a first, surely. :lol:

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote