Close
Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

About home grounding


(@apaitugempark)
Active Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 10
Topic starter  

Hey guys im new here and wanted to ask how to ground my house wiring properly.Im using an eg-112 yamaha guitar with a Lg12 Laney amp and constantly have an annoying screeching buzz everytime i play my guitar in my house.Im living in a condo in malaysia and doesnt encounter the same prob if im the guitar and amp somewhere else.A friend of mine whos living in a different unit encounter the same problem does this mean the prob is the house wiring ?


Quote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 1885
 

Your power plugs are like this, right?
I'm going to have to leave this one for someone in a country that uses the same power standard as you.

Also, if you have to ask this question, you probably should find a local electrician (unless you are a very competent do-it-yourself person).
I'd hate to have you electrocute yourself, or cause a fire based on poorly explained instructions from the internet.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep


ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Active Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 10
Topic starter  

Is the prob the home grounding then and can some1 explain to me how to ground it better just so i can clarify things :D


ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 1309
 

Is the prob the home grounding then and can some1 explain to me how to ground it better just so i can clarify things :D

It's quite likely the home grounding. To know for certain, you'll need to buy or borrow an outlet tester. You should find an experienced and certified local electrician to help you fix any problems you locate.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation


ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Joined: 18 years ago
Posts: 5058
 

You should find an experienced and certified local electrician to help you fix any problems you locate.

the certified electrician part is very important. if you short-cut and use a friend who is an electronics hobbiest or even an engineer who is "really good at this sort of thing", they may do damage or dangerous things to your wiring. some do not realize that the color coding for building wiring is different as compared to electronics standards. example: black = hot in house wiring. black = ground for electronics. big difference.

-=tension & release=-


ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 1885
 

some do not realize that the color coding for building wiring is different as compared to electronics standards. example: black = hot in house wiring. black = ground for electronics. big difference.
Or at least that's the colour code in North America.

But, yes, bad/missing grounding may be a cause of problems like you are describing.

Take your guitar and amp to another building (one that might have newer wiring, preferably) and try it there. Noise gone, or the same?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep


ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Active Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 10
Topic starter  

some do not realize that the color coding for building wiring is different as compared to electronics standards. example: black = hot in house wiring. black = ground for electronics. big difference.
Or at least that's the colour code in North America.

But, yes, bad/missing grounding may be a cause of problems like you are describing.

Take your guitar and amp to another building (one that might have newer wiring, preferably) and try it there. Noise gone, or the same?

I tried the guitar and even did a show in my school and got no buzzing at all
Can the height of where im living somehow effect the buzz or is it just plain faulty wiring


ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Joined: 16 years ago
Posts: 1885
 

If teh place is wired properly, then your altitude shouldn't matter.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep


ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Active Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 10
Topic starter  

k thx guys ill call an electrician in a few weeks time and will get back to you with the results :D


ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Honorable Member
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 659
 

Welcome to the boards, and good luck with the electrician.

The only thing I'd add- just because SOME outlets in your house may not be well-grounded doesn´t mean they all are. Take your guitar and amp from room to room, you may find an outlet someplace that it works in.

Also, if/when you get an electrician in, be sure he or she knows exactly what you need. (Show him the guitar sounds)

In the US, these things are pretty regulated, and therefore pretty standardised. A lot of places, though, the rules and standards are less stringent, and things vary a lot. (THe house I'm writing this in, for example, has three pronged, grounded, fused UK-style outlets and plugs for heavy appliances such as the fridge and the washer. Two prong round pin for everything else. In Ecuador, regardless of pin-count, it was fairly standard for home outlets to all be ungrounded.)

There's no real reason that a person experienced with wiring can't sort out grounding their own, but if you've never seen it/done it before, get a pro. (though in a lot of places, the concept of "certified electrician" hasn't caught on. So just be sure that whoever you get really does this kind of work, often.)

Best,
Ande


ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Joined: 19 years ago
Posts: 5899
 

Malaysia uses the same plug as the UK (I was in KL last week).

It sounds very much like the earthing in your condo. It is not something that you should tackle yourself, unless you are a trained electrician - those fat cables carry a lot of current.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN


ReplyQuote
(@canosiesure)
New Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 1
 

You may try to contact a local electrician there at your place. They can do the work to remove that thing, some grounding standards are needed so you can't just do it in some way. Or to get rid of electrocuting yourself then just call an electrician and you wouldn't have a problem anymore to that ground thing.

My TV shows


ReplyQuote