Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic Guitar won't stay in tune

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@larkguit)
Topic starter  

I have a Sigma DM-2 that won't stay in tune for mure than 2 minutes. Any ideas on whats wrong?

(@alangreen)

How old are the strings?

Are the screws in the tuners tightened up properly?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@thumpalumpacus)

Lubricate both the nut slots and the saddle. I use a .5mm mechanical pencil (graphite is an excellent lubricant).

Old strings can be difficult to keep in tune, but so too can new strings. If your strings are new, stretch them out before playing them. To do this, bring the entire guitar up to tune. Once you've done that, start with the low E, and pull it vertically away from the fretboard two or three times. It will detune; tune it back to pitch. Repeat the process until the low E stays in tune even after your two or three pulls. Repeat this process. Be aware, it takes about thirty minutes or so.

ReplyQuote
(@guitaranswerguy)

I'll add to Alan's questions...

1. Are the strings NEW and, if so, did you properly stretch them after installation?

2. Another possibility is that the strings could be binding in the nut if the nut's string slots aren't shaped properly and/or polished. There are a couple products you can use to lubricate those slots, but at this point it's impossible to tell where the problem lies.

Get back to us...

THE GUITAR ANSWER GUY
Helping beginners learn to do their own basic guitar care & maintenance.
The Blog
On Twitter

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

In addition to Alan's questions, do you have enough wraps around the tuning posts? You want 3-4.

And are the bridge pins in place? If the strings that are dropping in pitch have the bridge pins higher than the others, it's possible you've got the ball end of the strings positioned under the bridge pin(s) - they're supposed to sit next to them, with the bridge pin holding them into a slot in the bridge plate (a wooden block that sits directly under your bridge).

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@leander07marvin)

Check the nut and saddle if its still in good condition, and the screw in your tuning pegs should be tighten everytime you change strings. At least once a month change the string of your guitar if you're a regular player.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQYJol3YUbGdeNTj8Et7XJg

ReplyQuote