Skip to content
Acrylic vs. Nitro L...

Notifications
Clear all

Acrylic vs. Nitro Lacquer (and a paint question)

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

For the purpose of clear-coating a painted guitar, is there much difference between acrylic lacquer and nitrocellulose lacquer? Is one substantially better than the other as a guitar finish? (And if so, can you prove it? :wink: )

Also, if I buy a spray can at home depot and it says "Lacquer" on the label, is it more likely to be acrylic or nitro?

Last, I really like the Sonic Blue color over at the Guitar ReRanch site. Is anyone aware of something comparable that might be available at my local hardware store (or auto parts store)? The idea of paying over $16 for a can of spray paint just irritates me, so I'm looking for a lower-cost alternative that will still be high quality. Can I use any old brand of auto paint?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I used Nitro Lacquer for all my re-finish jobs. I don't know the specific differences between the two you mentioned, but the Nitro lacquer is pretty widely regarded as the preferred topcoat finish for guitars. I wouldn't buy something at Home Depot. Instead, you should take a look at a local wood store (Woodcraft?) for lacquer.

FYI, one can won't do it if you are spreaying it. I would budget for 2 or 3 cans and MANY coats. With light finishes I prefer to spray the first 4 or 5, sand down, and then start applying thicker coats with a brush from a cannister.

Most definitely check with Pep-boys or other autostore for paint... you can get similar colors at $2.00- $5.00 a can.

And (finally) I wouldn't assume it is Nitro Lacquer just because it says "L A C Q U E R" on the can (in bold black letters on a white background... reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Homer bought a B E E R because they were out of Duffs).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Nitro-cellulose is the preferred finish for guitars, if you can afford to pay for the labour. A properly finished guitar will have up to 30 coats of Nitro lacquer, each one very thin. Nitro is permeable and it supposedly allows the wood to "breathe" and continue to mature over the life of the guitar. Acrylic and polyeurathane coating seals the wood completely.
That's the positive side. The negative is that nitro is very much more sensitive than acrylic or polyeurathane - sweat will slowly dissolve it, which accounts for a lot of the "relicing" of older guitars like SRV's. Nitro also ages - it will start to crack, eventually, like Dutch porcelain, and will also discolour (see Fender's "Vintage White" as an example, that would have started life as something like "Olympic White").

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And (finally) I wouldn't assume it is Nitro Lacquer just because it says "L A C Q U E R" on the can (in bold black letters on a white background...

That's the one!

Mmmm, beer.

Thanks for the tip on Woodcraft. I checked their site, and apparently a new store opened not too far from my house. And they've got Deft nitro spray for $5.99/can ... so I can get three of these for the price of one at the ReRanch! Fits the budget much better. :)

Plus my father-in-law is coming into town for Memorial Day, and he's a big woodworker. I'm sure he'd love to take a trip out there.

Mmmm, beer.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nitro-cellulose is the preferred finish for guitars, if you can afford to pay for the labour.

Strictly a DIY project, but I've got the time. I figured it would take a couple weeks to finish, then several more to cure.
The negative is that nitro is very much more sensitive than acrylic or polyeurathane - sweat will slowly dissolve it, which accounts for a lot of the "relicing" of older guitars like SRV's. Nitro also ages - it will start to crack, eventually, like Dutch porcelain, and will also discolour (see Fender's "Vintage White" as an example, that would have started life as something like "Olympic White").

Interesting, and appealing, in a way.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I like Nitro finish, even if it is more delicate.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member

i've finished guitars in acrylic, polyurethane and nitro, personally I prefer acrylic, I find it easier to work with and fairly hard waring but i do see why a lot of people prefer nitro

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Do you all wear respirators when you shoot lacquer? I've been reading up on it and, because of the health hazards, am leaning toward poly now ...

However, I did read that the finish of the Highway 1 Fenders is satin acrylic, which I rather like. Ah, so many decisions.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You should wear a mask whenever you spray paint, regardless of type.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member

ALWAYS wear a mask when spraying, the contents will get around in the air like nobodies business!

I had to spray a small amount indoors the other day and paint particles ended up on the other side of the house, heh. Girlfriend wasn't too impressed.

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

And (finally) I wouldn't assume it is Nitro Lacquer just because it says "L A C Q U E R" on the can (in bold black letters on a white background...

That's the one!

Mmmm, beer.

Thanks for the tip on Woodcraft. I checked their site, and apparently a new store opened not too far from my house. And they've got Deft nitro spray for $5.99/can ... so I can get three of these for the price of one at the ReRanch! Fits the budget much better. :)

Plus my father-in-law is coming into town for Memorial Day, and he's a big woodworker. I'm sure he'd love to take a trip out there.

Mmmm, beer.

FWIW, I used Deft on the cherry desk I built in my office and it is quite soft. Lots of things leave marks on it.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

All good info; thanks. That's curious about the Deft; maybe another reason to use acrylic or poly.

ReplyQuote