Notifications
Clear all

Advice on new pickups

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@theruckus)
Topic starter  

I've got an old (at least ten or fifteen years old) cheapo electric guitar. It's a Vantage. Don't even know if they're around anymore. Anyway, it's a standard strat-styled body. It doesn't sound great and I know I need to replace the input or at least re-solder the wiring. However, I think I want to upgrade it to give it a better tone. While I know I can't change the wood, the body or the neck without actually changing those things, I figured I could at least beef it up with some new pickups. Currently it has a humbucker at the bridge position and then two single coils in front of that, i.e., standard setup on a cheapo electric. I want it to sound more like a strat. At least as much as a cheapo can. I am looking for advice on pickups. If possible, I'd like to keep the same setup, so I wouldn't have to get a new pickguard, but if I must, I'm not completely opposed to changing the guard. I also want to get something that is solid and reliable with good tone but won't break the bank. Any ideas? I'm doing the installation myself, so I'm not worried about the labor. Thanks for any advice you can offer. Just found this forum and looking forward to getting some good insight. Cheers.
-tb

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

check out GFS pickups at guitarfetish.com

maybe coil-split humbuckers or a p-90 to fit in the humbucker slot.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member

I have the same pickup configuration on my strat. I went with Seymour Duncan SSL-1 single coils(still waiting on delivery) and I am about to order a Seymour JB humbucker for the bridge. Read alot of reviews and such and these are all very popular pickups. Go to the Seymour website and click around on their forum. You could get some good ideas.

ReplyQuote