Notifications
Clear all

Any suggestions on how to modify your electric guitar

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rapter-75)
Topic starter  

I own a Johnson solid body electric guitar and am trying to save up for a Fender HSS or Tex.. For now I want to add some changes to my cheaper priced Johnson. When tuned it sounds great but some of the strings go out of tune soon after playing. So here is my questions for those who have worked on their own guitar.

- Would I need to buy new tuning keys, I noticed that a couple of the present keys skip a bit, like the toothed gear is skipping when I tune a string. i know it must be worned gear. If I buy new tuning pegs are the screw holes pretty much standard on their spacing or should I measure or bring the guitar to the shop for more precise measurement- my choice.

- I have three original single coil pickups but want to change them out for new ones any recommendations that from your experience you can offer? Is it fairly easy to install new pickups?

- The selector switch on my guitar is somewhat wierd, when I move it to a pickup it produces no sound unless I jiggle it a bit not all the time but enough to be annoying. Has anybody worked on the inside electronics of your guitar and is it simple to work on. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Consider that you can probably find a used MIM Fender for ~$300 or better, I'd suggest going for that instead.

Cheap tuners will set you back $50 or so, better ones closer to $100 or more. Why replace cheap ones with cheap ones, though? Unless you buy the same set, the screws that go into the back of the headstock may not match up. Not sure about the main peg holes; usually there's a piece that allows for different sizes (like if you use minis) but best thing to do is measure the hole diameter and compare the specs on the replacement sets.

Pickups - do you know how to solder? Again you're looking at $50-75 for a cheaper brand like GFS, or significantly more for "name brand" sets. Double that price to have them installed.

Selector switch - again, do you know how to solder? Do you have a multimeter to test for continuity? Sounds like the switch is bad, but could be the wiring too. Easy replacement/repair if you know what to look for.

Think about that Fender ... 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I don't see any "cheap" way out of this for your current "axe". You may pick up a set of decent tuners for not too much, but the pickups will set you back for sure. I would rather put the money towards a better quality instrument. You may be able to pick up a used decent one off of craigslist for not too much - there are deals to be had if you know what to look for.

If you are not that experienced yet, maybe incorporate the services of a fellow musician to assist in picking out a guitar, esp. a used one.

Even on a tight budget, the Fender Squier can be had for a little over $100.00

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Bullet-Strat-with-Tremolo?sku=517304&src ="3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=141538536"

Wouldn't be my first choice personally, but they do get good reviews & alot of people play them. Downside would be that it would most likely need a set-up right out of the box.

ReplyQuote
(@rapter-75)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the information. I do have a solder gun and a multimeter but after viewing your post I will probably keep my guitar like it is and look at other newer guitars. I will tinker with it and add modifications if necessary as a practice aid for future guitar maintainance. I appreciate your comments, the total price of the parts I want, will equal the price of a newer but less expensive guitar. It helped to know the price of those items, thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you don't have to buy new, either. you can save a bundle buying a used version of the guitar you're going after if you find a seller who's kept their guitar in good condition or bought one and decided not to learn to play.

ReplyQuote
(@rapter-75)
Topic starter  

True.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Hey there- a new axe sounds like a good bet. And far be it from me to interfere with guitar purchasing. (Just ask the wife!)

I'm thinking, though- until you can buy a new one, some off the probs with your current guitar sound solveable, without putting too much money in it. YOur post makes it sound like a decent enough first guitar- some thoughts on what might make it work better:

You say:
When tuned it sounds great

This is a good start. It means, among other things, that your pickups are okay. So why replace? You may want humbuckers on a future guitar, but most players like to have a variety. If your next one will have a humbucker in the bridge, keep this one three singles.

If you can get at the selector switch, a good clean can do wonders. Get a little solvent (a few drops of WD 40 or similar?) and run it back and forth, briskly, several times. It may clean up!

Also- are your tuning pegs really shot, or just loose? It sounds like the worm gear and the other gear may not be making proper contact- anyway you can get them held tighter together? (Posting pics could help us see)

If you're able to tune it, and it sounds like you are, I wonder if the pegs are the culprit at all. It's pretty unusual for tuners to actually "slip" once they're tuned- can you actually see the peg turning when you pull on a string? If not, it may not be the pegs at all.

Other things to check-

are the strings wound properly around the peg? (Enough, so they hold. Not too much, or they can "change" as the string position on the peg changes. (Again, post pics if you aren't sure. There are web sites about how they should be wound as well.)

And, what sort of condition is the nut in? Strings binding in the nut is a common cause of tuning going bad...

And let us know how it all turns out!

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote