Clear all

AP Physics! Help!

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well for my AP physics class, the whole class has to band together ( we are 15, not that many xD ) and make a playable band of instruments.

I am hoping she means Power Trio,more than that would be super hard.

We have to make lets say Guitar, drums and bass ( and a microphone ?? O_O) from recycled materials

So that means, no wood, we can use plastic, aluminum and paper o.o

I think this will be impossible. Strings ? Pickups ? drum skins ? input jacks, all the wires. o.o

Can anybody give me any advice?? This project is for next semester but it has got me scared.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Why no wood? You could recycle all sorts of things. Big wooden box + broomstick + string is a big bass.

You could rig up a "classical" guitar with some different weights of fishing line. If you have any friends that go deep sea fishing, the<#re going to have some old steel leaders.

Take a couple of small electric motors apart and CAREFULLY take all the copper wire out of it - nice basis for a pickup.

When I was a kid, I made some "drums" out of kitchen mixing bowls and heavy duty polythene sheeting, held on with lengths of sellotape.

For something a bit more off the wall, tissue paper over a comb will make a pretty good kazoo.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member

someone could make a diddley-bow. its a traditional blues instrument...if you go on youtube jack white rigs an amp up to one it takes him less than 30 seconds to make and if you make em right they sound pretty cool. its basically rigging a wire between a nail and over something that can resonate like a beer bottle than using a slide type device to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNk76_4lds

just ignore the electric part lol

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Inner tube rubber from old tires for a drum skin? Stretched over a small barrel, box, or a large pipe.
A metal barrel and some pounding and you have an authentic steel drum
Maybe an oil can guitar?
Some pieces of pipe can easily make a set of pan pipes.

Other resources:
http://web.mac.com/bashthetrash/Instruments_Intro/Instruments.html
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6715720_make-instrument-out-recycled-materials.html

For a microphone, almost any old piece of electronics that makes sound will have a speaker in it that can be used as a mic (or as the basis for a guitar pickup).
Or strip a mic out of an old phone.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote