Clear all

archtop hollow body - bridge question!!

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@elvisalanpresley)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I recently bought a Dean psychobilly cabbie which looks amazing :D and is lovely to play :mrgreen: BUT..... unlike any guitar I have had before when I took the strings off the while bridge just came away :shock: . I have owned several Gibsons before and am used to this type of bridge but normally the base part of the bridge is fixed to the guitar body and the top part can come off, in this case the whole thing is just loose and seems to have only been held in place be the strings. Maybe its just my lack of experience with this type of guitar but can anybody tell me if this is normal??? It looks like there used to be 2 holes under the bridge that have been filled! this doesn;t sound right?? :evil:

It seems if this is normal I wouls have to carefully line up the whole bridge unit while I'm tightening the strings or the string won;t line up with the neck properly :? ..... just doesn;t seem right.

Has anybody got any advice on this?

Cheers

Alan

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's supposed to just sit on there, held down by the strings. Don't take 'em all off if you don't want that to happen. You can probably still see where the bridge sat, if you look very closely. If you have three or four hands, you can easily put it back there and string it up. :D

You adjust intonation by loosening the strings and moving the bridge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elvisalanpresley)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. To be honest ever since I have had the guitar the bridge and therefore the strings have been mis-aligned and I thought it was a manufacturing defect....... thankfully it sounds like I just needed to loosen the strings and re-align it!
Anyway thats the best news I've had for ages.... thanks again!

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Anytime.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yes, it was rather surprising to me about 2 or 3 years ago with my Ibanez Hollow-body, also. I was not really aware of a "Floating Bridge". You seem to be rather aware of what you need to do to re-tune your guitar, though. Just remember in the future, one string at a time when changing strings will make it easier to tune/intonate. Have fun with your new guitar!!!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I had a similar issue happen when I re-strung my Takamine acoustic. I took off all the strings (bad move) and the nut popped off!!!! I just reaplced it and re-strung it and no issues, but what a surprise! :o

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@elvisalanpresley)
Topic starter  

Yes, definately 1 string at a time when changing strings from now on!
cheers
Alan

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

No Banjo or Mandolin players? A very light pencil mark or two will go a long way in making reseting the intonation a lot easier. I do this with the banjo when I restring so I can remove all the strings and give it a good cleaning. Usualy have to fiddle with the bridge to get things put back right but I have a close starting point.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html This is a how to on restringing a mandolin but the same things apply to a guitar with a floating bridge. BTW http://www.frets.com/ Bookmark this site. The guy who put this up is fantastic! You will learn tons.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote