Clear all

Art Guitar

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This might be considered something akin to wanting to run before I can walk but having been looking around online I've seen some fantastic custom painted guitars (I've also noted how to do a good job on one that's already factory finished you really must take it apart and sand it down).

1) Anyone have any pictures of their custom painted guitars they'd like to share?

2) Suggestions for what type of paint is suitable on the body of an electric guitar? Could I just use my artist's acrylics? How much does a paint-job affect the sound of the instrument in this case? I would have thought that so long as you don't trowel it on it should be fine? Are there special spray on varnishes out there for protecting the finished designs? (I actually have an awesome idea for a partly carved design but have no idea what that would do to the sound, even if I started with a new unfinished body).

3) How hard is it to take apart/put back together one of these things - seems like an intimidating prospect at the moment :?

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Some people will tell you that certain finishes "sound" better than other. I happen to prefer Nitro finishes for the way they wear and feel but I honestly can't say they sound any different than any other type of finish out there, every guitar sounds different anyway. I would imagine that you are considering a pretty modestly priced guitar anyway so I don't think you'll be doing much detriment to the overall tone.
That said, you can use whatever works.
Clapton's fool guitar
Harrison's rocky guitar http://www.guitarhangar.com/reproductions/fender-george-harrison-rocky-stratocaster-reproduction-mint.html Here are a couple of examples of guitars that some people might consider ruined (anal, only nitro sounds good on a guitar people) But, they sound awfully good in capable hands. But who knows, maybe you are better than Clapton?

There are no rules, Zappa used to play a strat that Hendrix torched! You can spray clear laq or varnish or poly over whatever you want to protect - check out guitar reranch for tips and how to's.

3) putting a guitar together from completed parts os very simple as long as you know the measurements of the parts you order in reference to what they are going on. For instance, import and American strats have different string spacing, nut width and mounting screw spacing. You make anything work, but for everything to slip together easy you need the right measurements. (Sellers often know what parts will work on a given instrument)

Do it already!

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Do it already!

I wish my other half were as supportive in my sudden enthusiasm for the idea of customising/building a guitar. He says I should learn to the play the one I have before I even consider anything else :| I suppose he has a point but ... but I'm getting very much into all of this. Price is a big issue yeah, not made of money, and so is ease of doing this thing -- don't have a whole workshop full of special tools so I'm probably looking at parts that go together with minimum need for alterations (though i know there'll be some). Thanks for the tips on the imports, I never thought of that, been looking at some suppliers on ebay who do ready cut blank bodies and necks and all that fun stuff. Heh this thread kind of merges with my 'Guitar Kits' one :)

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Some people (myself included) get inspired by the instrument. Email, me your address and we'll see what shipping from me to you will cost. I have a guitar you can have for the cost of shipping if your intersted. You'll need to buy a bridge for it (and some sand paper) it's a Epiphone Jr. Then you'll have no excuses. It was left in an apartment I had, so it wont cost me anything.
[email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Classy thing to do! 8)

My son has an Epiphone Junior we jazzed up a little. I'll get a pic and post it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Some people (myself included) get inspired by the instrument. Email, me your address and we'll see what shipping from me to you will cost. I have a guitar you can have for the cost of shipping if your intersted. You'll need to buy a bridge for it (and some sand paper) it's a Epiphone Jr. Then you'll have no excuses. It was left in an apartment I had, so it wont cost me anything.
[email protected]
Cool thing to do,and a nice little empty canvas to work with!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

[email protected]

I'll send you an email ... just as soon as hotmail behaves and lets me do so. We never found anything good anywhere we've moved to.

ReplyQuote