Clear all

atempted action adjustment

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, About 2 years ago I picked up a cheap yamaha and have been playing constantly since. The action has always bugged me - comparing it to my friends guitars and I have been thinking of a picking up a better instrument. In the meantime I decided to try and set the action myself. Well I might have gone a little far. The new measurments at the 12th are 5/32 and 1/16. Actually plays much better except on the high e string i get a bad buzz on the 2,3 and 7th frets.

Now I am debating whether to try truss rod adjustment. I know I could pick up a blank and try to set the action slightly higher but since i have no buzz on the other frets I am thinking that I may be able to salvage the low action.

The reason I have the buzz at the 2 and 3rd fret. The neck has a slight bow there. I have always assumed that this is normal. Is that right?

Any thoughts? I am soon going to buy a larrivee or takimine (haven't settled quite yet) so I dont mind playing with this one.

Cheers,

Max

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

By the way, the measurements are from the wood on the fretboard. not the metal.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

By the way, the measurements are from the wood on the fretboard. not the metal.
You may actually have the action a little low. It should be measured from the top of the fret at the 12th not the wood. Check the neck relief which is pretty easy and adjust it as necessary since you will never get the action right if you don't. Put a capo on the first fret and hold the string down on the 14th fret on the metal. Measure the space at the 6th. It should be between 10 and 15 thousands. Adjust the truss rod a little at a time to get the right distance. And I repeat a little at a time and don't force it.

EDIT: The measure at the 6th is between the string and the fret wire. It is worthwhile doing both E strings.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member

I'm assuming this is an electric, strat type guitar. If so I just set up my first one and found the Mr. Gearhead site helpful. They have a one page setup guide that guides you through setup step by step. It took me less than an hour to do mine the first time.

http://www.mrgearhead.com/

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I didn't mention my guitar is acoustic.

After reading the posts and some online research Ive determined to first check the neck relief and if necessary adjust the truss rod. (i may play with this anyway - just to get a feel) Ive got some stuff to do tonight so Ill post towmorrow how it went.

Wish me luck

Thanks for the responses

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Good luck and enjoy.. It is fun to tinker...

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well its raining - couldn't finish work on my house, so I got to play with the guitar. I discovered I had almost no relief at all. I adjusted the truss rod three times 1/2 hour apart - counter clockwise, each time 1/8 turn and now I have a very slight buzz on the 7th fret only on the high e. I can counter this by pressing a little harder. I do believe though that I should still loosen the rod another 1/8, but not today. I have much better action now and it feels great - so I am going to play for a while!

Thanks for the advice

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you've only got the buzz on the high E now, stop messing with the truss rod!

The buzz is because you took too much material off the saddle when you were working on adjusting the action. You'll want to take the saddle off, and shim that side of it. Remember that action changes at the 12th are created by moving TWICE that distance at the nut or saddle, so to raise that string 1/64, you'll need to shim 1/32.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

-Stop messing with the truss rod- I am the type of guy that can't. I mess with everything. But ill leave it alone now - that last buzz went away by itself after a few hours on the guitar. I am very happy with the setup now - I guess its better to be lucky than good.

Now at least I won't be afraid to make adjustments they need to be done.

Thanks everyone

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote