Clear all

Bassy Pickup

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@allergy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I got my new Guitar and the Neck pick up is a Bit to bassy for my taste's. Now I was wondering Is the Neck pickup suppost to the be bassy? On my old guitar I stripped out all the other pickups and Just left the Bridge one, I put a EMG-81 in it. So I dont really have Exp. with the Neck pickups. :)

I Heard that Lowering the Pickup will reduce the Bass to it, Is this true?
Even if it's suppost to be Bassy, Its to Bassy for my Taste's. Its a Real Muddy Bass sound. Its a EMG-HZ that came on my Jackson DXMGT-RRM.

-Thank's

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yes, lowering the pup will reduce the base but will also reduce the volume from the pickup.

Typically the neck pickup should be about 3/32's and the bridge pup can be about 2/32's from the strings with the string fretted at the last fret. The middle somewhere in between. This is just a starting point and what you do from there is adjust it up and down a little at a time and play until you find the height that sounds best. You can also experiment with just raising and lowering one side.

Too low and you loose volume and too high and you could get some really weird bassy wobbly sounds

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You can also experiment with the individual pole pieces if they are of the adjustable kind. Lowering the pickup reduces the output, but raising the pole pieces will bring the volume back up a bit, though thinning the sound out and removing bass response. Start with the pole pieces level to the surface of the coils, then lower the whole pup, then bring the individiual pole pieces up if possible.

Regards.

ReplyQuote
(@allergy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Now that you mentioned the Volume thing the neck pickup does seem kinda loud as well. The Left Side is a bit higher then the Right. Ill go experiment with it. Thank's

ReplyQuote
(@allergy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

darn double post's.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Neck pickups are normally louder than the bridge but not because of how many windings and whatever. It's because the neck pup is positioned more toward the center of the vibrating string and there's more movement and energy at that point (like say you hit an open E note on the 6th string) and so the pickup picks that up and it sounds loud. You could have the same pickups in each place and if you had them both the same distance from the strings, the neck pup would seem louder.

Best to just experiment till you get a nice balance; either dead-even or maybe with the bridge pup slightly louder than the neck. :)

ReplyQuote
(@allergy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I lowered the Neck Pickup it sounds much better now. I lowered it almost Flat with the pickup thing-a-majig. :) Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote