Clear all

Best Headphones

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What are the best Headphones for use with amplifiers ?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

how much are you looking to spend?

Sennheiser are really good. Grado are probably the best bang for the buck.

go here:

http://www.goodcans.com/

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

about £25 i reckon, i think thats about $40, Are Guitar specific ones better than getting just normal like Creative ones, i notice they've got a 20-20000 frequency range, which is pretty good considering the human ear range is roughly 20- 20000hz lol. but ... you tell me lol.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

$40?

Anything off the shelf at that price range is going to be very similar.

I wouldn't bother with noise cancelling.

High end Phillips or Sony would work.

You might be able to get the Sennheiser PX100 or PC200 at that range.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

which is pretty good considering the human ear range is roughly 20- 20000hz

Only whilst your young. Once you get over the age of about 20, you start to lose the ends of the spectrum.

One thing that a lot of people ignore, before buying, is the comfort factor. If you're going to wear them for any length of time, they have to be comfortable. I've tried some excellent (and expensive) headphones that hurt my ears after only a few seconds, because the earpads were the wrong shape for my ears.
Another small factor to consider is the length of cable supplied. 2metres may sound a lot, but you stand up and try to move away from your amp!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

AKG, Audio Technica, Maxwel, Sony. To name a few more. This are studio standard headphones not the ones you get for a portable walkman. they will have a 1/4" plug and not the mini. Frequency range: 15 to 25,000 Hz, Sensitivity: 91 dB SPL/mW would be something to look for.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For sub-$150 US Grado and Sony are pretty much what many industry pros will use. The Sony HDR-7502 at just over $60 US is a good choice for your application. The Sony HDR-7506 is better if you can come up with $99. Several years ago, I was surprised to learn this family of Sonys are used for a lot of professional monitoring and even audio quality assessments by codec designers. They are electrically durable and have a balanced frequency response.

Higher end, I'd get the Sennheiser HD-600 ($300+). Beautiful detail, extremely comfortable and a bargain at that price, but probably overkill for amp monitoring.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member

I have some Labtec C-184 heads that I found somewhere in my house and they work great, you can toggle between stereo and mono, that's about all you can do with these but they sound great.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Grado SR60's are among the best $70 headphones you can buy. Very accurate, but they can be a bit uncomfortable to some people.

You might find the Sennheiser HD477 (a bit more mids, great for rock and roll) and 497(a bit more bass) more comfortable and they are nice for $50-60. If you want more isolation, their HD202 and HD212pro are decent sealed headphones, if a bit bassy, as is often the problem with cheaper sealed headphones, in the $40-50 range.

Etymotic ER6's are great $100 in-ear headphones that will give you great isolation from outside noise, and allow you to play quieter if noise is a problem. This may allow you to keep some of your hearing a bit longer.
Be careful with headphone volume, it is very dangegrous... Is that the phone ringing?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'd get some in-ear headphones if I were you. I prefer sticking little plugs in my ears to clamping some huge earmuffs on. Also, you can use them with your portable music player of choice, and be freed from the lousy sound that the headphones that came with it had.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you think you them as an investment and purchase a good set, they will last you a life time. I have one set that I've had for many years. maybe a little heavy and old fashion but they sound great.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for all the feedback. In reguards to getting in ear phones, i couldn't disagree more, i hate the little gits, they hurt me to easily, i'd like a nice set that clamp over my head with good sound and comfort.

I like the sound of the sony's and sennheisers.

ReplyQuote