Clear all

Bloody Strings!!

26 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yet AGAIN!! am I off down the shops because I broke my G-string while fingering a minor :evil:

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

... a little too tightly wound, that one?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's tough to break a G sting. You figure it's likely around a .21 gauge and wound. That's pretty meaty compared to the .18 unwounds. Is the nut and bridge lubricated with graphite/lead (yea, regular pencil shaving)? If not, try to pencil some of that stuff on each time you change strings. It's helped me not break strings often.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Yet AGAIN!! am I off down the shops because I broke my G-string while fingering a minor :evil:

hey, Hey, HEY!!! :x

Let's try to keep it clean around here, shall we? There are kids reading this for--...

Oh, never mind -- I just realized that you were talking about your guitar's G-string... :oops:

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, yea, I thought about a different G string, but it seems I've been around GN and guitars to kinda fly just over all that. One day I hope to get Joe's mentality about guitar....

:shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wait ... we're talking guitars here?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We wanna be - there are laws against doing what you guys are thinking.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Warning: Geezer Alert!

There was an old radio show called Fibber McGee and Molly starring Jim and Marian Jordan as a married couple from Peoria, Illinois. Fibber was famous for a variety of things, including a notoriously messy closet which would get opened at least once per episode, with the end result being a prolonged crashing noise as all of the contents fell out and hit the floor.

What's this got to do with the G-string thread?

In one episode, Fibber finds his "old mandolin" and starts to wax poetic about it. I don't remember whether the G-string breaks or the G-string is the only one that's still intact (I think that's the case). So he starts to ask Molly if she's ever heard some song with only a G-string, only to stop and muse that it's not a polite question...

Actually, this is waaaay before my time :wink: but it kinda stuck in my mind.

If you're interested in Fibber McGee and Molly, check here: http://www.google.com/search?q=fibber+mcgee+molly

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

:shock: - OMG!

Well before I end up getting arrested, I swear they were over 18 and my underwear is wound just fine thank you very much :wink: :lol:

Maybe I could of worded my post a little differently to prevent any innuendo - but c'mon guys what a testiment to your dirty minds :D

Anyway back to my G-Strings :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Anyway back to my G-Strings :twisted:

...and as long as you are over 18, we won't get arrested. :P

Yelled at by our wives, perhaps... :wink:

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LMAO :lol:
...and as long as you are over 18, we won't get arrested.

Yes I am and the other......Yo me niego a comentar en el motivo que yo quizás me incrimine :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Pet, can you translate that? No hablo Espanol or whatever language it is. Sadly, I only know English but I can spell out the alphabet

A
A#
B
C
C#
D
D#
E
F
F#
G
G#

:oops:

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

I only know English but I can spell out the alphabet

A
A#
B
C
C#
D
D#
E
F
F#
G
G#

Wow -- must be one of those regional differences showing up. I learned the alphabet this way:

A
Bb
B
C
Db
D
Eb
E
F
Gb
G
Ab

:wink:

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, I wasn't quite honest. I think of A# as Bb and C# as Db when in the context of chords or keys. But if you ask me what makes up a chord I'll generally call out only sharps. Weird.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yo me niego a comentar en el motivo que yo quizás me incrimine - I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2