Clear all

Bone bridge pins - are they worth it?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ccwilliams)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've been thinking about replacing the bridge pins on my acoustic with bone bridge pins. Will they make any improvement to the sound?

Thanks,

Chris

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Check out this comparison and let your ears decide:
http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/pintest/default.htm

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Dammit, Slej beat me to it.

If you think they are pretty they are.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you think they are pretty they are.

:lol: Yes indeed, I replaced the white plastic pins on my Yamaha with ebony pins to match the bridge and fretboard, and the black plastic ones on my (now sold) Fender with rosewood for the same reason. Cosmetics matter!

But honestly, I'm thinking of getting a set of brass pins for the Yamaha, just to experiment. Once I get my recording gear set up I'll try to run a comparison with plastic, ebony and brass. I am foolishly optimistic that the brass will add some brightness. At worst, it will cost me a couple days' lunch money.

ccwilliams: have you already upgraded the saddle on your guitar? I changed the plastic one on the Yamaha to tusq, which made a notable improvement in sustain and string clarity, particularly in the midrange. Then I replaced that with bone, which seemed warmer and not as bright but otherwise similar to the tusq. I like brightness, so I swapped back to the tusq saddle.

P.S. Welcome back Nick!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I was thinking about tusq saddle and bridge pins for my yamaha as well

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@ccwilliams)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.

My guitar already has bone nut and saddle.

Had a good listen to the examples on littlebrothers page. As far as improvements in sound it Doesn't seem like theres much in it, to my ears the bone pins seemed to have slightly better sustain and 'body' to them. But I may just be projecting my preconceptions that bone pins would be better than plastic.

For the sake of $20-30 I might give them a try one day - if nothing else they'll look good!

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i also think that bone and ebony pins look great, however my last 2 acoustic guitars don't use pins at all and i can't really say i miss having them.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sustain changes are related to changes in the mass of the bridge -- mount a large mass on the bridge, volume goes down and sustain goes up ("Same energy under the curve, just distributed differently."). Uranium bridge pins might sound a bit different.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Neutronium for me. Not to be confused with Meconium.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Personally, I think it would be well worth it to be able to say that you're going to pull out your boner!

:D

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote