Clear all

Bridge and tail height adjustment

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

One more about this dang guitar and I'll leave everyone alone, promise. I mentioned in my thread about a grounding problem that the bridge is adjusted almost all the way up on the left side (little more than 1/4") but the other side is all the way down. Now that I look at the tail-piece it is set up just the opposite the right side is way up and the left is almost all the way down... is this common?? I have NO experience with electrics so excuse my ignorance, but this seems odd to me. Pictures are worth a thousand words so here ya go

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I got into a good stumble online and found a few REALLY helpful sites and I have a few ideas (more experienced people feel free to jump in any time).
My guess is that while trying to set intonation (which is way off by the way)the position of the saddles forced them to adjust the tail-piece to keep the strings from rubbing against the bridge itself? If that's the case, once I get a new set of strings, can I (read as: should I) try and get both the bridge and the tail to be fairly level and then follow the steps to (a)adjust the truss rod, (b)set the action, and (c)set the intonation? (I got these steps from http://www.guitarattack.com/repair/intonation.htm and http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm thanks to kent_eh from the Scale Problem thread)
Thanks in advance everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My advice is to adjust the bridge height to set your action where you want it, then adjust the tail piece to your liking in relationship to it. The action adjustment dictates where the bridge is set.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well there I go, making it more complicated than I need to :roll: :lol: A new set of strings and a good set-up cured most of the ills. Doing a full set-up really is pretty straight-forward, nothing scary to it at all! Thank for the help TR!

ReplyQuote