Clear all

Bridge Noise/Jangling?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Took my Hwy One Strat in for a set-up and got it back with the same jangling noise it had when it went in. I think the noise is coming from the bridge area. It occurs on several strings and only when they are fretted, not when played open (I think, it's a little inconsistent)

I'm not at all comfortable making any adjustments myself, so I will be taking it back in to them, I'm sure. I can't stand to play it the way it is. It just sounds bad.

Shouldn't they have caught this and corrected it when doing the setup?

Any advice/ideas on what might be the problem?

Thx!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Shouldn't they have caught this and corrected it when doing the setup?

Yes. Call them right away and let them know of the problem.

Does it happen when you fret only in certain spots, or any time you fret? If they adjusted neck relief, then that shouldn't be it ... so maybe a raised fret somewhere along the fretboard.

If the noise is actually at the bridge, it could be your saddle height adjustment screws are rattling. Though they shouldn't.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

my strat has exactly the same problem on a few frets. I also asked at the store that i bought my guitar at they told me that it was to do with string gauge. Judging by mine how the noise comes from within the floating bridge, i think that the balls on the end of the string might be vibrating at a different frequency to the guitar body and making contact with it in doing so.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies, Slej and Soundgarden.

I called the place that did the setup yesterday but had to leave a message. It's in another city, so it'll be a few days before I can get the strat back to them.

Last night I spent some more time checking it out, and it's especially on the E,A,D and G strings. Don't notice it on the B and high E. And it's when playing a LOT of frets, not just a couple. I started wondering if it is a fret that is raised. It's so hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. But I know it sounds like crud! I can't bear to play it this way. Thank heavens for my son's Hamer in the meantime.
soundgarden wrote: Judging by mine how the noise comes from within the floating bridge, i think that the balls on the end of the string might be vibrating at a different frequency to the guitar body and making contact with it in doing so.

That's an interesting thought.

I'm so disappointed. :cry:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Another reason to learn to do your own setups. Go on, you know you want to! :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Margaret:

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Without seeing/hearing your guitar, it is hard to know what's wrong - could be a raised fret, the action may be too low on some strings, could be something loose on the bridge or inside the guitar.

You mentioned that your son has a Hamer that you are now playing. What model Hamer is it and what do you think of it (a "review" would be great)? My friend owns one and I think they are really overlooked guitars. His is a beauty - better than many much more expensive guitars out there!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Slejhamer wrote: Another reason to learn to do your own setups. Go on, you know you want to!
Not a chance! The very thought scares tar out of me. I haven't even changed my own strings on the strat yet, although I was brave and did my own acoustic. :lol:
ColoradoFenderBender wrote: What model Hamer is it and what do you think of it (a "review" would be great)? My friend owns one and I think they are really overlooked guitars. His is a beauty - better than many much more expensive guitars out there!

We have a Hamer SATP90 and it's a sweet little guitar. Made in Asia (Korea maybe, I've forgotten).

http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=1823&sid=185

We bought it second-hand but it was still very new. My son likes it more than the Hwy One strat (he likes the slightly wider neck), and I like them both pretty equally. It has a totally different sound than the strat, with two P90 pickups. I love the fatter sound.

It seems to be very well made, nice neck, stays in tune. Haven't found anything I don't like about it. Nice guitar at less than half the price of the strat.

Sorry I don't know enough about the technical details to tell you much more than that, but I'm impressed with the Hamer and would definitely consider another Hamer.

Margaret

ReplyQuote