Skip to content
Bridge popped off m...

Notifications
Clear all

Bridge popped off my bass guitar!! Repair suggestions?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@quimbly)
Topic starter  

I was away on vacation for a couple weeks and came back to my bass guitar strings all sprung. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the bridge had been pulled off. I left all the windows closed, and with the record temperatures where I live, I suspect the neck warped sufficiently to create the force to pull the bridge screws out of the body. See photo for the aftermath.

For those with guitar repair experience, what are your DIY repair suggestions?

(@factorx)
Eminent Member

If it was my guitar I would drill holes larger and wood glue pegs in. Then drill new holes. Today's wood glues are as strong if not stronger then wood. I have a reamer set and small drill press that works best for precision but a drill bit and steady hand works fine.

They sell wood pegs at hardware store. They have small grooves down the side that make them easy to pound in while still allowing space for glue. You don't want them loose. Don't under drill to much either. A pair of micrometers would be nice but if you know the size peg and drill bit you can get by.
A few thousandth of an inch under peg size should be fine. You can test first on scrap piece of of wood.

You can cut peg to length or slightly short before you pound it in or do what I do and pound peg in and cut it afterwards with a dremel cutoff wheel.

I don't think much about stuff like this but some do so if you feel your up to it this will work

ReplyQuote