Bridge repair

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi
I've got a Washburn HB 15 that has a mandolin type bridge. The trouble is the bridge is damaged at the low e string and I either have to raise the action(a lot) or put up with fret buzz on that string.
Can I repair the brigde using epoxy and then filing it down or should I just replace it.
I'm a little afraid of replacing it because I don't know how to set the bridge for proper intonation but live and learn I guess.

Dave

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Epoxy isn't a good fix for this. I would cut out the region of the bridge by the E and glue in a similar piece of wood (rosewood or ebony or maple?) as a patch, then reshape that to the original shape. Use yellow glue -- e.g., original Titebond -- for this.

A somewhat strange, but possibly effective fix would be to install a piece of fretwire on the top of the bridge in that area. However, this would require enough wood to slot for the tang.

Or you could buy a replacement bridge from Stewmac.com

Good luck -- Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Greg
I guess the epoxy wouldn't transmit the tone of the string as well as ebony and might wear after a while. I do have a piece of ebony around so I'll try that first

Dave

ReplyQuote