Clear all

Broken trem arm stuck in trem

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@davec)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Disaster, just into the new year and have what could potentially be an expensive repair..

The tip of the trem arm has snapped off, while still in the trem. I'm open to suggestions on how to get the thing out, the only way i can think it to get a drill and be very very careful, as replacing the arm will be pretty inexpensive compared to replacing the whole trem unit. It's an Ibanez licensed 7 string floyd rose edge-pro trem.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The kamikaze dive bomb trick, huh?

Ok, here's your shopping list:

Power drill
Tap wrench
Screw extractor (for 10-32 thread or smaller)
Drill bit (to match screw extractor)

And the procedure:

You start out by drilling with the normal drill bit. Make sure it's centered, or you'll damage the thread. Drill down a bit, then back out the drill.

Now put the tip of the screw extractor in that hole. The screw extractor has threads that run the opposite way - so you'll be forcing it down by turning counter-clockwise. Use the T-handled tap wrench to screw in the extractor... 10-32 is fairly small, so if you use the power drill you might snap off the extractor. When the extractor bottoms out, it'll start to unscrew what remains of your trem arm.

If you screw it up:

Ok, so you either drilled off center and the threads are ruined, or you figured it'd be ok to use the power drill for the extractor. Now look at where the arm screwed in... see how it's got a hex shape to the top of it? That's actually the top of the barrel that the arm screws into - it has threads inside for the arm, and threads outside to go into the trem block. You can grip that with a wrench and back the whole thing out. The bad new is that tiny little barrel will cost you just as much as a new arm. The good news is they're about $7 each.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Actually after talking to my dad whose an engineer, we came up with a few other ideas, but as it turns out there's a screw at the bottom of where the arm goes in with a wire bit that sticks into the side (of where the arm is held) to hold in the tip of the arm.

So after removing this, just found a small hex bit to push it out.. of course now i need to setup my guitar again and get a new arm..

Though it is pretty hard to see what there actually is on the bridge without taking it all out. I took it out mainly so my dad could look at it properly and therefore found the solution... actually pretty easy but it's not something too obvious to do, so already fixed it back into place and waiting to do a minor setup.

There aren't any threads to fit it into... but putting a drill in a small hole could easily damage it when your not completely sure whats holding it in. I thought the bushing would hold it in.

Understandably having been drinking the same night i didn't really want to take it all apart at the time.

So now i just have to wait a day until the local guitar shop is open to buy a new arm, boy do i feel relieved about it though :D

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

If you screw it up:

I love that...not...if something goes wrong or something a little nicer lol.

Okay...I use my whammy bar alot and you're scaring me...how exactly did you break the thing?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'd like to know how i broken it too, lol... I'd possibly lifted the guitar up by it slightly while messing about, heard a small click and thought i'd just pulled the arm out a bit... next thing i put it on the stand and the arm dropped off.
Not exactly sure how old the guitar is, i've only had it a year, but it's second hand, so who knows how much abuse it had before that.

Still the arm should only be £10 to replace so no big deal.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sounds like something was wrong with it before. As much use and moves that I put them through they hold up surprisingly well. I've only had one do that. It was on a BC Rich ironman back in the mid 80's. It wasn't designed to pulled up but after doing that for so long I had dented the body of the guitar with the underside of the bridge enough to allow full pull scream.

It did take it toll on the arm and snapped it off inside, which happen to have a nut welded under the bridge. there was enough protruding out of the nut to remove the broken piece. The arm still had plenty threads on it and it screwed back in adjusted the lock nut and I was back in the saddle again.

Good to here things worked out for you.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Finally got the new arm a month later now, mear fiver and comes with a pair of spare bushes (the ones on the old arm were knackered really). So now the arm holds in place properly too which is handy.

ReplyQuote